Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro for ailerons & elevator

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro for ailerons & elevator

Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
rcfan450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro for ailerons & elevator

I want to play with some gyros on a plane. What is a good cheap gyro to use for this purpose? I don't know anything about them except some are Heading hold and others do it different (or something like that). I'm pretty sure I DON'T want a HH gyro.

For now I just want some links to some half-way decent gyros to try on my ailerons, elevator, and rudder.

I've been flying for several years now so I'm not a newbee trying to make an auto-pilot plane cause I can't fly, I just want to mess around a little and see what they do.

Have any of you used a gyro on the ailerons? How about elevator? I know plenty of folks use them on rudder.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Gyro for ailerons & elevator

Hi rcfan450

I have used quite a few gyros on my Jets. They work great to calm down a jittery bird, or fix crazy nose wheel steering issues.

I just bought some HK401B's from www.hobbyking.com, they have them on sale for about $14.00 now and they seem to work well, but I have not flown them yet. You will need 2 ch to run them the control channel and the adjustment channel. The nice thing is you can adjust the sensitivity from the Transmitter. From HH to off to stablization.

Using gyros has allowed me to even move the cg on my friends F-22 to an almost un-flyable aft cg for better performance.

If you are going to start using gyros please make sure you insulate them from vibration well and make sure before you take off that they are operating in the correct direction. Oh and HH gets real interesting in an airplane... have tried it a few times with weird results. There is a great article on Futabas Japan website in english http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/hobby_en/...al/tech01.html
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
rcfan450

Default RE: Gyro for ailerons & elevator

Thanks Aero65! I can handle $14 real easy. So I need a seperate channel for the gyro? That makes sense I guess. Thank you JR XP9303. I was kinda hoping I could somehow use the dual rates but that won't work the more I think about it. Unless I'm missing something.

Ok, I'm ordering now, I may have an update or something in a week or so. Maybe I'll even stick one on my 50cc Extra to make it the most stable hovering machine alive. That would be cheating!