Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

whats a good advanced arf

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

whats a good advanced arf

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good advanced arf

Perhalps something mid wing (good in wind), good wing loading. simi or full semetrical wing. .40 size. Im thinking thunder tiger 45s champion. Any ideas folks, thanks fo the imput!
Old 07-08-2003, 10:53 PM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you like warbird style planes the wm 40 size mustang is a great all around plane
Old 07-09-2003, 12:08 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is as many answers to this as airplanes. How about a UCANDO3D 40 for 3D or a Venus 40 for a pattern type.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:14 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Try the H9 Ugly Stick.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:44 AM
SpaceCase

I think the mustangs going to be too hot. Kinda want to take off in a bunch of differnt types of fields. Trik gear's would be cool. Yea the ultra sticks a good option. Kinda like the looks of a cowl, and something nice.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:51 AM
listed

Hanger 9 Aresti is a good one. I have one with a saito 72 on it and it is a great flier. It is a 40 size plane.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:00 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2 cents: I have just been thru this myself...it depends on what type of flying do you want to do???

All of the planes below are in the $120-$160 dollar range...

All of the sticks are good planes, but I would consider them real good 2nd planes, not in the same category as an "advanced" plane.

If you want a pattern like ship, I would look at the Aresti or Venus (review here on RCU) planes.

If you would like more of a 3D bird, look at the UCD 3D (40 sized) (60-90 sized review here on RCU), or check out the new Funtana (I looked over one at my lhs for about 2 hrs, its built real light, looks like it should really fly well). I almost bought one of these, but do not like the fact that there about a dozen people in this area that bought one (I like being different...having a plane that no one else has...).

If you want a good pattern/3D combo, think about the Global Freestyle (look at the review here on RCU). I bought one of these and its my favorite. What I really like about this plane is that it has really good slow-flight characteristics (really helps me when I'm trying to perfect a pattern maneuver), and I can still satisfy my 3D appetite without changing planes (but if I really want to go all out 3D I just pull out my SPA3D).

btw- I did have the H9 ultrastick(crashed and burned- kinda overexceeded the structural capacity of the wing during a vertical snap, but it went out with a bang...), I have flown the UCD (60-90 sized-it was set up for sport flying but it still tumbled better than my freestyle). I flew an Aresti (good pattern ship, but not too fast. I only tried pattern maneuvers with it, throws were set too low for anything else).

Oh, and check out the Magic(not the magic extra), its a good tumbling arf for $100. The Magic Extra is a good hoverer, and a decent flyer, but I would build a SPA3D before I fork out $120(plus I did not like the way it was built).

Of course these are only my opinions on some of the planes...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:41 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Default Tiger 60 ARF

Goldberg's (Lainer) Tiger 60 has trike gear and is a great flyer. Nothing lands smooth like a Tiger 60.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:46 PM
SpaceCase

Yea I always like those pilon racers with there dominators and quickies. Top wing planes are ok if the fuse isnt that bulky. Hanger 9 ultra stick is kinda intresting with the dual airl/flaps. So the modeltech magic cang do this, and is also not a great construcktion, makes me leen toward the h-9 ultrastick.