Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

wing repair question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wing repair question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 03:34 AM
Mr. Nitro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing repair question

The wing on my Thunder Tiger .40 trainer is loose in the middle where the two pices of the wing come together (clipped a pole at about 20 mph) You can't really move it that much with your hand but I'm afraid to take it up in the air and turn with it, it might snap in two and good-bye $400. So, I'm gonna take the covering off and repair the balsa wood with some epoxy. Here's my question: When I repair the wing and go to put the covering back, whats the best way to put the covering back on without recovering the whole area? Is there any special tape I can get? The reason I don't want to recover is first I never did it before and second I don't have monokote or the iron or heat gun. What should I do?
Old 07-20-2003, 05:48 AM
flianbrian

Opie dude,
Go ahead and get some monokote and an iron if you intend to stay a while in this hobby. Follow the Monokote instructions and practice on some scrap balsa or other wood. Not so hard really.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:13 AM
bgorham

You will be amazed at the damage that can be repaired on these balsa birds. Epoxy, additional bracing, lots of sanding and sometimes a little fiberglass thrown in for good measure will reserect just about anything.

Flianbrian is right, it is time for you to roll up your sleaves, get some monocoat and a covering iron, and you will be in business. It really is easy, search the threads for covering help, practice on some scraps and you will soon be making it look like a pro!

Use a new razor blade, and carefully cut the covering back close to a rib a couple of bays beyond the damage (give yourself plenty of room for a complete inspection and sanding). Fix your problems and apply new covering. Mix it up and use a good color combination, and it will look good as new with a custom finish. Keep posting and we can help you through trouble spots.

Bo
Old 07-20-2003, 08:12 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could use Mono-coat trim material it is self sticking or iron on . Could use most any iron with Mono-coat , I first used a small travel iron . Keep your eye out for a swap meet in your area , cheap place to find a iron & covering material . Do your repairs from the bottom if possible. MAX H.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:45 AM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Default .

if you have cracked balsa use ca not epoxy.....and if your wing is loose where the 2 halves are joined...take em apart and re epoxy. i can't imagine that being loose though
Old 07-20-2003, 11:28 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I had the same thought Tinman. Most likely, being loose means damaged. (ie. Broken root rib, or....)

Opie,
re-using covering is virtually impossible. First, you'll never remove it in big enough pieces, and IF you somehow mange to get it off relatively intact, it's won't re-stick.

Bite the bullet, get covering and an iron. You'll be glad you did (I'd suggest a different color covering. When you re-cover, make a design out of it.)
Dennis-
Old 07-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Mr. Nitro

Ok, I guess I'm going to recover instead of trying to reuse it. I'm a cheepo! lol What all do I have to buy? The monokote and iron? or monokote, iron, and heat gun? I'll look for a thread on how to cover on here. I've wanted to learn for a long time now because I am wanting to start buying kits but I got scared when it came to the covering. lol Actually, I had a kit completely assembled and I put it up (was eventually gonna cover) but it was thrown away somehow(not by me). Thanks for all your help,

Justin
Old 07-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Mr. Nitro

Does anyone know of a thread on here that gives instructions on how to cover? I coudn't find any.Anyone know of a website that tells how to cover?? Thanks,

Justin
Old 07-20-2003, 03:15 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Default .

heres a start for ya....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...t+and+covering

try typing monocoat and covering in the advanced search at top of page also... D
Old 07-20-2003, 04:20 PM
flianbrian

I certainly understand your fear and trepidation at the prospect of covering for the first time! But recovering a center section is fairly easy, not having sharp edges and compound curves to deal with. It'll be good practice in itself, and if it doesn't look the best whattheheck it's a trainer not a showpiece. You'll have ample opportunities to make 'em purty if you stick with this.

I get by fine with just an iron (I'm cheap, too! ), though it would be easier in some nooks and crannies to use one of those smaller trim seal tools. I haven't tried a heat gun, I suppose they're good for shrinking large areas quickly, but an iron does the same with slightly more time.

Careful with the iron edge on soft balsa---you can leave some ugly grooves/dents. Socks on the iron help some.