Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Winter storage

Wondering if a deep freeze would cause any harm to Life and NiMh RX packs? I have several planes stored in my trailer since I have no other place to keep them safe, and removing the batteries would be a royal PITA.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think it would but a quick cycle would tell the true tail.

Ken
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
acdii

Dang trailer is snowed in so cant A. get into it, and B. get it out of there. grrr. At least I know the deep cycle battery will have a full charge, I have a solar panel charger connected to it.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:41 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my planes, with the life packs still in them, in my attached unheated garage and have never had a problem. My attached garage gets down to 20 degrees F. If you do some searching you will find they can stand much colder temps.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:16 PM
acdii

Well I can get to the trailer now, the snow has melted, and the water drained, so I can go and give the planes a once over now, check the trailer battery to make sure the solar charger did its job. I have at least 6 packs in the trailer at the moment.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Thunder Chicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have left my batteries and airplanes outside in my trailer all winter, for the last number of years. We regularly get -40' for extended periods of time....thats not a typo....In the fall before winter, I fully charge my Nixx packs and LiFe packs, and Lipo's into storage charge. Last winter a switch got bumped on and a LiFe pack was drained, and was froze for months, and it recovered fine!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 AM
acdii

Thats good to hear. I can finally get into my trailer now that the weather warmed up long enough to melt the snow ans evaporate the water. I had one nice day where it was good to fly but the fields are still too soft to get to.