Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

power system help

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

power system help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:04 PM
austintyler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power system help

I've asked people on the net and at LHS but always get different answers so,
I have a warmliner, the ION pro. I think I have a battery with too much power. I'm running a AXI 2826/8 with a CC80 esc, 3 servos, 13x7 props and the battery would be a 3S 30C 3850mah. Is this too much for the esc'?
How do you determine the max battery for a ESC

Thanks guys
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM
speedy72vega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: power system help

Austin, you've got it backwards, actually. The motor/prop combo ultimately determine the current draw, not the battery. You need to select an ESC and battery that can support the power requirements of the motor/prop.
I'll try to give you an example: Let's say you have a motor that runs on 3S (11.1 volt), and it has a Kv rating of 1000Kv. The Kv rating means RPM/volt, so the motor will try to turn 1000 RPM's for every volt, in this case, 11,100 RPM's (11.1 volt X 1000Kv = 11,100 RPM). Now, let's say you run a prop that will cause current draw to be around 30 amps at full throttle. You need to make sure that your ESC can handle at least 30 amps, 35 or 40 amps would be better, so you have some extra capacity.
You also need to make sure your battery is capable of supplying at least 30 amps constant, or the pack can be damaged.
If you increase prop diameter and/or pitch, the current draw will be higher, and you will need to make sure your ESC and battery can handle the higher current requirements.

The battery will only supply how ever much power the motor/prop needs, up to it's max discharge capacity. It's always best to have more capacity than you actually need, it prevents you from burning things up.

Hope this helps.