Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine Recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:18 PM
monoloco17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Recommendations

I recently purchased a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk. The highest reccomended four stroke is a .91. This seems like it might just be a little weak for a plane that size performing aerobatic maneuvers. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of purchasing a YS 1.10fz but i have heard they can be a very troublesome engine to get running properly. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:41 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're concerned, get a YS .91 AC. They put out as much power as many 1.20's.
Dennis-
Old 08-07-2003, 02:01 AM
monoloco17

Dennis,
Thank you for your response. What i meant is that i have heard all YS engines are troublesome and for a more reliable engine to go with OS. I do hear that YS has better power and throttle response however. Do you have much experience with YS engines? Also the YS .91 was just replaced by the 1.10FZ. I was considering that for its power. Thanks.
Brian
Old 08-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Blackie

Depending on weight I would suggest a Saito 100 on a 9lb plane. YS are very picky.

Blackie
Old 08-07-2003, 04:28 AM
Equest

Monoloco

YS engines in my book are one of the best engines out there. They are a freaking power house because they use supercharging and mechanical fuel injection. The reason why most people have trouble with these engines is mostly because they do not understand them and start making unnecessary adjustments with the high and low settings. I have a 91FZ in a Hanger 9 Mustang that pulls it way too much. A 1.1 FZ should be more than adequate. The web and RCU has plenty of info on YS if you decide to go that route.

Equest
Old 08-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Blackie

Monoloco17, and sorry for stepping on your toe's Equest, the YS are a picky motor, as I have seen from veteran modelers and long career mechanics at my club are continuously messing with them. I would strongly suggest that you do a good search on the YS, and take in what problems they may have. Just because someone tells you that there is no problem with this engine, does not mean that you're not going to have a problem with it. From what I have seen I wouldn't do it.

Equest, the reason I say this is because two of the person's at our club, one you know have had nothing but problems with them. Dewayne R and Bobby W, both have gotten rid of theirs due to the problems they have had with them. You must remember that this engine is a super charged engine in which can bring complications.

Blackie
Old 08-07-2003, 11:23 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My YS 91 AC is the only YS I've ever owned, (my first 4 stroke too), and it's never given me any trouble. (But I've only owned three 4 strokes so far, so....
Dennis-
Old 08-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Equest

Blackie,

I understand where you are coming from, but any make of engine can be troublesome at one time or another. Not taking any credit away from the veteran members, just because they had problems does not mean that someone else will have continuing problems with a YS. You can just as easily have aggravating problems with a Saito or an OS. The point is, most of the time problems arise from not understanding the engine system and not providing the best combo to extract the best performance.

Monoloco,

I realize you a asked a simple question, and my answer was that the YS would be a good choice. This is based from my experience and from others as well. YS has been around for a long time. Some of the best pilots in the world use them and you will usually see these engines being used in some of the best planes manufactured. These engines the technology used have a proven acceptance, and I do not think YS would still be around if everybody was always having problems with them. Given, due to their special characteristics, you need to adhere to the required setup for the engine to operate.

The benefits are a plus. You get more bang for the buck. You can place the fuel tank anywhere in the plane. Swing a larger prop as well. Anyway, that's my speal. : )
Old 08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
monoloco17

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems that the people who fly with YS and work with them swear by them. Just like anyone who flys with OS swears by them. I am mostly likely going to go with the 1.10fz for its power and it is not so big that i will need to cut away a lot of my cowl. Unfortunately the motor is not very cheap but all good things come at a price. Equest, if i get the engine and am having problems i hope you will be able to teach me a thing or two about setting them properly. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some people hate YS, others really like them. I think they may be a little more tempermental, but if you run good plugs and fuel, they work great. I haven't seen any perform bad. Everyone I know likes them.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Only problem I ever had with a ys is letting veteran fliers adjust my hi speed needle too lean....guess that is what I get...
Old 08-07-2003, 11:18 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Blackie
veteran modelers and long career mechanics at my club are continuously messing with them.
No offence intended Blackie, but maybe that's why they're having problems.

I have a YS 91AC that has never given me a lick of trouble in the 5 years that I have owned it.

It is currently pulling my GP Skybolt, which is 9 years old and, besides being heavy to begin with, it also has a smoke system, and about 10 pounds worth of repairs. (No, I haven't weighed it lately, but everyone thay picks it up looks at me with a look of shear horror on their face)

And that 91 pulls that sucker vertical all day long.

In a CGM Chipmunk, it would probably hover easily.

In case anyone is interested, pics and videos of the Skybolt/YS 91AC can be seen here:

http://204.96.183.34/Skybolt/

Here's one of the newest pics not on the site yet:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100010_7722.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	56789  
Old 08-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Azcat59

I had the Goldberg Chipmunk (a 60 size airplane if I recall), and had a Saito 91 in it. I am not big on four strokes, so didn't keep it long, but it had more than enough power. The airplane isn't normally that heavy. A buddy had one with a two cycle 60 in it, and it was "adequate" for all scale type maneuvers.

Clair
Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Blackie

From what I have seen at my field I'm going to keep my distance.

To answer you question Minn, I have seen Bob in action and he is by far one of the best mech I have ever seen when it comes to these glow and gas engines. He has everyone of his engines so fine tuned that he never uses a starter and everyone of them start with one flip on the hand. I spoke with him today about these YS motors and from what I gather the YS need a bit more attention then the other motors and why pay so much for an engine when you have to bring it home and spend hours tweaking it. He mentioned that there are a lot of people that compete with the YS and the YS is the only engine that will allow the performance those guys need. He also told me that these competitors often replace the piston with a special piston for some reason can't remember.

Bob is also the one that managed to get my OS 91FX running as it should after all of the problems of it leaning and over heating etc....

As far as the others that I have seen with the YS take Dewayne, He never got his to run right. He had replaced numberses parts trying to solve the dead sticking even sent it to YS twice in order to get the problems worked out.

Then we have Jerry that would sit in the pits for long minutes at a time before each flight trying to get his running right before every flight. So from what I have seen thus far I am going to keep my distance.

Blackie
Old 08-08-2003, 02:01 AM
John Hanske

Default Goldberg Chipmunk

Thought you folks would like to here about my Chippy. Bought it used in 1985 or so with an O.S. .61 four stroke. The plane flew well and very scale like for years. I then decided to try hovering type of manuevers and put in a supertigre .75 two stroke. Not quite enough to hover, so in went a supertigre .91 2 stroke. Hover accomplished!! After a while, I decided to go back to a supertigre .61 two cycleto save on weight and fuel consumption. I put in a 16 oz tank and flew for six more years, flying very scale like manuevers, until 1 month ago I tried to stretch a flat spin One half turn too much and put it in. While the plane is probably repairable, I have decided that she went out the way she deserved to go, and have started stripping her of equipment to put in my new Goldberg Chipmunk, which will be powered by a Thunder tiger .91 four stroke. A 60 two stroke or 81 four stroke will fly that plane just fine, and by the way, isn't that what is recommended for the plane?