Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Crow setting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
jaav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crow setting.

Hi all, I have a Warbird that I was looking at adding some washout in the wing tips. I read that adding a bit of crow setting to the ailerons can help.
How do you set this up and can it be turned off in normal flight..I have only a 6 ch TX.

thanks. J
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Crow setting.

I don't know if adding crow to a warbird is a good idea or not, but...

Attached is a PDF copy of the H9 Ultrastick 40 manual. In Section 19, it describes how to program crow with one of the older JR 642 model radios. I did this on a modified trainer, and it works. The problem you may run into is it slaves the gear channel to the aileron channel. If you're running retracts, you'll need more than 6 channels.

Hope this helps,

Fred
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ec89609.pdf (1.04 MB, 30 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Villa

Hi jaav
I am not familiar with that term. Please describe what "adding a bit of crow setting" means. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Villa:

I believe that when Jaav is asking about "adding a bit of crow" he's referring to a condition where a model airplane equiped with flaps and ailerons is flying with the flaps down and both ailerons tipped upward at the same time. As he mentioned, this artificially introduces washout (where the trailing edge is tilted above the chord line), and in theory would reduce the tendancy of a warbird to tip stall at slower speeds.

One of the guys at our field has a H9 Ultrastick set up in this fashion. He's flying a 9 channel radio, with an individual servo controlling each flap and aileron. He can switch-select the flaps to follow the ailerons, or to serve as flaps. He's also got the flaps mixed to the elevator, so the plane can do very tight loops. And when he wants to do touch-and-goes, he flips the ailerons up, drops the flaps, and can go around at extremely slow speeds and/or insane angles of attack.

I believe this condition is called "crow" as our black-feathered bird friends can warp their wings into this condtion. Hope this helps (and is what Jaav's referring to!)