Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

monokote color missmatch

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

monokote color missmatch

Old 02-14-2010, 04:38 AM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monokote color missmatch

Ok i'm repairing my GP extra 300 sp.
manual says monokote yellow and monokote metalic blue..... bought a roll of each from tower...

Basically the blue is very noticably different! its far lighter than the blue on the plane...

can I expect the new blue to darken a little with sun exposure and fuel etc??? of have I been sold a bad roll?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: monokote color missmatch

I've bought two rolls of Monokote at the same time from
Tower and they were different shades. Nature of the beast.

Paul
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 AM
ceecrb1

Not exactly a high quality product then.

In the TV and theater industry where I work I can buy rolls of lighting color filter, and I can buy the same shade with years appart between ordering more and they are always EXACTLY equal.... So surely its possible.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 AM
jetmech05

Always try and give a part number when you place an order....you may have to research a little......but it takes the guess work out of order takers hands.....
not saying you did this...but I've really had my eyes opened since I've started to work at a LHS....here's how the conversation goes.....Duhhhhhhh I need aaaaaaaa part.
OK what kind of part, I ask
the thingy, is a good reply
what do you need the part for, I retort
My truuuuuuuck.
what kind of truck, i ask quizzically..
the blue one......
You see where this goes.
anyway I know you probably don't have a LHS over in Spain, but for those of you that do, try and have a part number when you place an order.
To make sure you have the correct number ask your LHS guys to double check the number in the computer for you...they can even tell if the distributor has it in stock...and show you a picture of ther part....
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Always try and give a part number when you place an order....you may have to research a little......but it takes the guess work out of order takers hands.....
not saying you did this...but I've really had my eyes opened since I've started to work at a LHS....here's how the conversation goes.....Duhhhhhhh I need aaaaaaaa part.
OK what kind of part, I ask
the thingy, is a good reply
what do you need the part for, I retort
My truuuuuuuck.
what kind of truck, i ask quizzically..
the blue one......
You see where this goes.
anyway I know you probably don't have a LHS over in Spain, but for those of you that do, try and have a part number when you place an order.
To make sure you have the correct number ask your LHS guys to double check the number in the computer for you...they can even tell if the distributor has it in stock...and show you a picture of ther part....

Thats not the problem. I DID order the exact item as stated in the planes manual.
The problem seems to be that its cheaply and/or badly made and the colour between the same monokote TOPQ0402 on my plane does not match the monokote TOPQ0402 on the roll.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Ed Smith

Monokote is no longer a quality product (If it ever was). Throw it all away and use Oracover, a German product sold in North America under the name "Ultracoat".

Ed S
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it comes down to the batch numbers when the rolls were made. You may have a roll that was made after or before the roll was made that they used to cover the plane. I have gone to the hobby shop and picked up 2 rolls of the same color and when I have gone to apply it, one is a shade or two off. As mentioned just the nature of the product. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM
WCB

Saw the same problem with monocote true red a few years back. 3 rolls of true red and none of them matched the true red on the plane.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM
ceecrb1

Its my first experience with monokote .. I've had other ARTF's but never had to do any "surgery" on them.. they're either 100% intact, or destroyed..

All my past experience is with solarfilm and solartrim.... far better from what i'm seeing..
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I have had the same issue with Ultra coat. The only way to insure the exact same shade is to buy the same lot number from a production run. Each production run, no matter who the manufacture, varies slightly. just the way it is.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
ChuckW

I've had this happen before too, even with other brands of covering. It is frustrating. I know color matching of things like paint can be difficult and depend on a lot of factors so I assume the film is similar. I'm sure that the covering manufacturers could do a better job with it but I wonder if they don't to keep the cost down? I have no way of knowing that for sure, it's just a theory.

Also, Monokote is supposedly made here in the US while the ARF's come out of Asia. I wonder if they make some of the Monokote for the ARF's in Asia rather than ship it from here? Even with the exact same manufacturing processes, that could explain some differences due to climate and other factors. Again, that is just me wondering out loud. I have no idea if that is actually the case or not. I don't know a thing about what goes on with the manufacture of this stuff.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
ceecrb1

like I said before, i'm purely looking at it from a events and tv tech's view..
I can buy a "congo blue" from 1980 and another from 2010 and, while there might be differing materials to make the filter, the colour of the filter will be EXACTLY the same.

I'm guessing its just down to production standards and cost etc.. but the roll that arrived today is VERY noticable differnt. it more looks like I took any old "blue" i found in any old shop and patched the plane with it..

You know when someone puts leather patches on the arms of a jacket?? well my plane looks like that, and i'm sorry but it just shouldnt.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 PM
ceecrb1

Heres a pic, the bounce flash is even helping reduce the effect!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75829.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1378706  
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
ChuckW

Yep, it's close but not quite. I know the feeling. that's pretty airplane too and you probably want to keep it that way.

I know whenever I am covering a complete airplane and I think I might be using more than one roll of covering, I go for the larger roll. it is more expensive and I often don't use it all but at least I know it is all going to be exact.

If you get a roll of this blue from someone else that is either new or a little older, it might match exactly. You never know.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something else is that MK has a "grain" to it.

I once covered a GP Mustang 40 with Aluminum MK and you could see differences between pieces from the SAME ROLL!

If you add a patch and the colors look different, try rotating the patch 90 degrees
Old 02-15-2010, 01:55 PM
mikegordon10

Ok, I just can't stand it any longer! All of this and many other posts about this subject just seems like a giant commercial for the ongoing "Monocoat Covering Contest" NOT.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Something else is that MK has a ''grain'' to it.

I once covered a GP Mustang 40 with Aluminum MK and you could see differences between pieces from the SAME ROLL!

If you add a patch and the colors look different, try rotating the patch 90 degrees
yeah i tried this... it is deginately better in the orientation that it is, but its definately a different colour.