Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what prop do i need

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what prop do i need

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM
sharkeyauau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what prop do i need

Hi all,i have a super tigre 61 in my worl models 60 mustang what,what would my best prop be for this, i want maximim speed possiblemy local hobby shop gave me a 13x8 which i didnt like it worked well on take of,but not much top speedand they have givenme a 12x6 to try wich i intend on doing in the morning any susgestions on what to use would be good.
also what are 3 and4 blades like.

thanks all

Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what prop do i need

Hi,

You may find the info at this link will provide you with some options. Even with the same diameter and pitch props from the various manufacturers will perform differently. Suck it and see. Personally I like three blade props on some models as they allow more constant speed on the downlines and give greater ground clearance if you need it for retracts, etc.

http://www.bolly.com.au/book/

Cheers,

Colin
Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
mikegordon10

If your interested in all out top speed then you need a lot of pitch and not much diameter.
I'd try an 11X9 or an 11X10 if you can find one. You can also cut down a 12 or 13 to 11".
The only caution is not to over rev the ST which would prolly be good up to the 16 or 17 thousand RPM. When you go with speed then you'll lose thrust. A lot depends on how clean the airframe is.
3 and 4 blade props will not get you the desired speed of which you spoke. They have purposes in life but all out top speed ain't one of 'em.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also remember That the higher the pitch, the more speed you will have, but you will also have less power.

Think of it like the transmission in a car, but you only have one gear.

A larger diameter prop with a low pitch is like first gear. You'll have lots of pull to go up hill or pull loads, but you'll never go very fast.

With a short prop that has a high pitch, it's like 5th gear. You'll go fast, but it will take a long time to build up to that speed and you'll have a hard time going up hill
Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
...It all depends on what type of model it is!
A .60 Mustang with a span of 155-160cm...then a 12x6 or 13x4, 13x5 APC or RAM propeller is best.
11" props are too small diameter!

Forget any 3 or 4 blade prop. They will not provide the same performance as 2 blade propeller and also be too small to look good.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
mikegordon10

Horse pucky. 11" props on 60 size engines is just as common as the 10" props on 40 size. Q-500 428 class use 8.75" props the club 40 with ST 40 use 9 X 6 props. The only way an 11" prop would be too small is if it alowed the engine to over rev.
He asked about a prop to give him the highest top speed. I think you missed the initial question posed in the thread.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The 11x7APC is a pretty good prop on a 61 ST. For a Mustang though I think I would go more pitch. I have not tried a 11x8 on one but it should pull it.

David
Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 AM
sharkeyauau

cheers all for the replys , you've all given great advice, i'll test every prop they have if i have to, untill i like one i think ,i love this plane it flys fantastic , by far the best plane i've flown and got , just thought it would be faster than my 46 trainer ,
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi!
I know ! I'm too a pylon racer! But too large airplanes will not work with 11" props using a .60 engine. That's why I asked him what size the plane was.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:51 PM
sharkeyauau

the 12x6 worked alot better could really tell the difference on take of and speed in the air was twice as fast ,nearly,
but then crash landed and now i have a couple of hours work ahead of me
nothing to serious just a cracked cowl  and a couple of tears in the skin
but the prop is fine!