Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Throttle Problems

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Throttle Problems

Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Problems

Hey all, my Sig Somethin extra is ready for the engine mounting. PROBLEM!!!! My throttle on my saito 56 arm is right inline with the engine mount, and no way to get around it. Any tips????

Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 AM
YOADRIAN

Default RE: Throttle Problems

It would be better with a picture to see what the issue is but the center screw on the throttle can be loosen to reposition the throttle arm they also sell longer arms (likeservo arms) in assorted lengths. You can also try to use a flexable linkage rod to the arm. If you could post a picture it would be better to know if the issue is a side clearance issue or a height issue.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
dignlivn

Would turning the carb 180 degrees help ?

Bob
Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Super_Chief

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Hey all, my Sig Somethin extra is ready for the engine mounting. PROBLEM!!!! My throttle on my saito 56 arm is right inline with the engine mount, and no way to get around it. Any tips????

Thanks
Put a large z bend in it if the problem is at the firewall, it not then make a bellcrank arrangement for 4 strokes.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
pdtroil
My Feedback: (1)

Saito engines have a set screw on the outside edge of the throttle arm that you can loosen to rotate the arm to a more favorable position.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bend a throttle control rod to make it work, change position of throttle arm, change position of carb, drill through the mount and run a throttle cable through the mount. It's your plane, you can do anything you want with it.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Saito 72 on mine. I have the throttle arm next to the cheek block on the left side of the plane. I marked the area around the arm, removed the engine, then carved out a relief in the wood. The cheek is thick in this area and gave plenty of room. Then I used a solid metal pushrod with a Z bend on the throttle arm end. I installed this on the carb and then feed it through the firewall as I installed the engine. I have a slight bend in it behind the fuel tank to line up with the servo arm. Then I used an EZ conector to attach it to the servo arm and give me some adjustment.

David
Old 02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a ball link to move the engine arm over???
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a standard, upright Somethin' Extra firewall. The location of the throttle control is within 1/16" of the side of the interior formers. I ended up pushing the control tube further away from the fuse side. My engine is an OS46 AXwith the front-mounted carb with the throttle arm on the front right. The Saito 56 has the carb located at the back with the throttle arm on the left (pilot's left) of the cylinder. Can you rotate the carb so that the throttle arm is on the right? If so, use a throttle wire routed through the SIG-specified throttle control location, add a 180 degree bend close to the cylinder to route the wire back towards the firewall and then add a 90 degree bend in the wire to connect the control wire to the carb's throttle arm.

I've added a pic of my Big Stik 40 with a Saito 82 mounted. Notice that the high speed needle exits to the left side of the engine with the throttle arm to the right.

***** trust me when I say I'm getting REALtired of RCUloading images incorrectly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71876.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1388901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44283.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1388902