Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: basswood ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

basswood ?

how strong is basswood? as mabey compared to spruce

thanks RCU

RE: basswood ?

Spruce is stronger , but bass wood is also pretty strong depending on the application you can sometimes substitute using bass wood without a problem ,

what are you using it for ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

According to my very knowledgeable LHS proprietor

Kinds of stick wood ...
    walnut & mahogany - brittle and may well crack under the stresses of flight
    basswood and pine - both will flex without snapping - basswood is more evenly grained, easy to carve and consistent throughout entire piece of wood while pine is grainy and inconsistent in strength along the length of wood.

If by spruce you mean pine then pick basswood. If not, my 30 year experienced builder and supplier of wood doesn't stock it and couldn't give an opinion.

There was a very detailed thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago. Do a search, it answers all the questions.
    PMW

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would use it for the wing stringers on an ace big bingo , i think theres 8 a side , for a 77 inch wing without tips

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Basswood and spruce can be used interchangeably for most of our plane building applications. basswood has an ultimate strength about 92% of spruce. It has a higher bending strength but is more brittle. In other words, if you took a piece of basswood and a piece of spruce, of the same dimensions, and slowly bent them, the spruce would break first. A sudden shock load with a bending force would probably break the basswood first (such as a wing striking an obstacle in flight. The difference might be negligible). Compression strength of spruce is better than basswood parallel to the grain. Weight of the two is very similar.

Basswood has a finer, more even grain and can be carved more easily. Lastly, basswood is classified a hardwood, spruce is a softwood, but that has more to do with leaf-shedding than actual hardness of the wood.
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?