Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

basswood ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default basswood ?

how strong is basswood? as mabey compared to spruce

thanks RCU
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: basswood ?

Spruce is stronger , but bass wood is also pretty strong depending on the application you can sometimes substitute using bass wood without a problem ,

what are you using it for ?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
SeamusG

According to my very knowledgeable LHS proprietor

Kinds of stick wood ...
walnut & mahogany - brittle and may well crack under the stresses of flight
basswood and pine - both will flex without snapping - basswood is more evenly grained, easy to carve and consistent throughout entire piece of wood while pine is grainy and inconsistent in strength along the length of wood.

If by spruce you mean pine then pick basswood. If not, my 30 year experienced builder and supplier of wood doesn't stock it and couldn't give an opinion.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a very detailed thread on this subject a couple of weeks ago. Do a search, it answers all the questions.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

i would use it for the wing stringers on an ace big bingo , i think theres 8 a side , for a 77 inch wing without tips
Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Basswood and spruce can be used interchangeably for most of our plane building applications. basswood has an ultimate strength about 92% of spruce. It has a higher bending strength but is more brittle. In other words, if you took a piece of basswood and a piece of spruce, of the same dimensions, and slowly bent them, the spruce would break first. A sudden shock load with a bending force would probably break the basswood first (such as a wing striking an obstacle in flight. The difference might be negligible). Compression strength of spruce is better than basswood parallel to the grain. Weight of the two is very similar.

Basswood has a finer, more even grain and can be carved more easily. Lastly, basswood is classified a hardwood, spruce is a softwood, but that has more to do with leaf-shedding than actual hardness of the wood.