Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which comes first engine or plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which comes first engine or plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which comes first engine or plane?

I have no idea where to post this so you guys get it.

What do you usaully purchase first, the plane or the engine or both at the same time?

Myself I get the engines because they are just cool. I think putting them in a plane and getting to fly them is a bonus. Only one time did I get both at the same time. I almost always have a motor sitting around without a plane but never the other way.

This question really dosen't have a point but a few other threads about engine selection made me curious, especially with those of you flying the larger planes.-BW
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which comes first engine or plane?

I seem to buy a lot of used and damaged engines . I'm a retieredaircraftmechanic and like fixing the engines up so I have a lot of engines ,compared to planes.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the plane determines the engine you need....so if you buy the engine first...you're locked into a few airplanes......buy the airplane first and you know what engine you need.....I always go with the biggest engine recommended
Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those two answers sum it up - to each his own.

Some guys like engines and buy an airplane to wrap around an engine they have.

Some guys want a certain plane, so they buy an engine to stick in the nose.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Rudolph Hart

And if it's a big pumped fourstroke saito that covers your plane in greasy goo with a straight exhaust so much the better,i'm in heaven already thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

And if it's a big pumped fourstroke saito that covers your plane in greasy goo with a straight exhaust so much the better,i'm in heaven already thanks
That right there is an engine guy!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've done both directions before. There have been times that I have an engine sitting on the shelf that I will try to find a plane for. Many times though it's the plane that will determine. I'll want a plane that I'll need to figure out what engine to put in it.

Ken
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I've done both directions before.
I told you he swung both ways!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Thanks people-
I kinda figure it was a personal choice thing.
Since I am always getting engines before the plane I sometimes find difficulty matching it with anything. Especially in the under .40 ci range. I picked up a Fuji 24EI I have been looking at for about 3 years and then had a heck of a time finding a plane for it. The one it is going on is a little heavy for it but it will hopfully make a decent sport plane. Luckily because of my buying habits I have lots of experience with planes in the 70%-90% thrust to weight ratio. And to be honest I like the way they fly.-BW
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

When I first started building planes, I would start the plane, and then buy the engine when I was ready for it.

Now I have a surpluss of motors from long gone planes and typically pick a plane that will work for a motor from "inventory".
Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Lnewqban

If you learn to crash properly, your engines will live longer than your airframes.
Hence, your new airframes will be matched to the engines you have and trust.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Plane first then engine. As I begin to have engines sit around without a home, will started choosing planes for engine.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: daven

When I first started building planes, I would start the plane, and then buy the engine when I was ready for it.

Now I have a surpluss of motors from long gone planes and typically pick a plane that will work for a motor from ''inventory''.
Same here. I now have about 35+ RC engines in the .25 through .91 range that are all in good working order. Most are OS, Fox, Enya, and Magnum. Right now I am installing an OS 61 SF in a new GP Super Skybolt. I originally bought the engine in 1988 for a TF GS Corsair. But then again last fall I bought an OS 75 AX for a GP RV-4 because I thought it would be the perfect engine for it. Some times I see an engine I just have to have and buy it without a plane in mind[&:].

Bruce
Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Look at the Manufacturer recommendations for a certain aircraft, ARF or Kit. I go by that, to a degree. I usually fudge a little, let's say a Saito 120, I'll go for the 125, or 150. More power is not acuually better, more vibration to the airframe, but you have to plan for that in advance. Reinforce everything you can, then step to a little larger engine.
In general, I usually stick with the kit recommendations. I always reinforce every glue joint I can reach anyway. I'm a more power guy, but that doe's not make it right. I have yet to under power any aircraft I own.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's a kit build I like to have the engine during the build, I know the size of the plane and pick out the engine before the build. If it's an ARF I'm assembling for someone it's like flap said, I look at the sizes of the engines the manufacture recommends and help the owner make a choice, that can be any time during the assembly. I just ran into a problem on the build on my bench right now, the engine fits but it's a tight fit and requires mods without that engines brand of motor mount. I wouldn't have known that unless I had the engine in hand at the time I was starting the fuse.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
SPLIT S

I can't stop buying both.... figure something will match with one another at some point. I need help....

Dan
Old 03-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Steve Landron

I'm a buy the plane type first kind of guy. Matter of fact I still have the SIG 1/4 scale Cub haning in my garage waiting patiently for an engine.. Maby the ASP 120 4s.. Hmnn.

Steve

[8D]
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
CKLLOYD

THE PLANE COMES FIRST AND AFTER YOU CRASH IT YOU HAVE A ENGINE. SO YOU GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER PLANE TO FIT THE KNOW EXTRA ENGINE INTO.. KIND OF WORKS THAT WAY FOR AWHILE.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Bonified Wingnut

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

I can't stop buying both.... figure something will match with one another at some point. I need help....

Dan
My thinking exactly. I don't plan on leaving the hobby anytime soon so eventually the engines will get used. And if they EVER start selling kits again I won't have to pick one up before I start a build.-BW
Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Bonified Wingnut

ORIGINAL: CKLLOYD

THE PLANE COMES FIRST AND AFTER YOU CRASH IT YOU HAVE A ENGINE. SO YOU GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER PLANE TO FIT THE KNOW EXTRA ENGINE INTO.. KIND OF WORKS THAT WAY FOR AWHILE.
I've only lost 1 plane(so far) so I don't usually have orphans. As a matter of fact I was equal with the plane/engine ratio once, but I had to pull a GMS .32 out of a heli I had put it in to replace an Aviastar 46 that would not run in a Tower Trainer.

I have done a few transfers though. The GMS 32 has been in a Dynaflight Butterfly, a Century Hawk, and is now in a Tower Trainer(the heli is now an orphan), my Magnum 30 RFS was also in the Butterfly and is now in a Pheonix Models Sonic. The OS 10LA I starteted scratch building with went from a few POS scratch built planes to a scratch built Mini Tower Uproar and now resides in a Chea Pass Floatplane(the Mini Uproar has gone electric). The One plane that did crash, a Hanger 9 Tribute 36, donated it's engine to the Butterfly which is now living it's life as a trainer for my cousin. Did you follow all of that?

The rest of the engines I have are still in there original planes. But I am up again by 2 engines and several brushless motors including a 700 watt outrunner that might go in the Sonic or a new plane. I have the same problem with electrics also.-BW

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Cool thread!! I agree that it's fun to get a sweet ***** engine and try to find a cool plane to wrap around it, but I prefer to pick out the plane that I think I will have the most fun flying, then properly equip it with a power plant. Two different aspects of the hobby I guess. Personally I used to love different planes and wanted some of everything, but I have grown to love planes that are a joy to fly, and thus my aesthetic demands have changed.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I've done both directions before.
I told you he swung both ways!
OMG!!!
mike, you are riveting

hate to say which way i swing.....................too many options.
if i see an engine i want i buy it and find a plane to stuff it in...............when i find a plane i like, i buy it and then search for days to find the right engine..............
Old 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Gray Beard

Right now I have a lot of engines on hand, I'm lacking in planes though. What I don't have are engines in the .60 range. I have them from .25 glow to 2.4 gas but not one .60. I usually use .91s in 60 size planes but for my new build the size of the .91FS is just slightly too large. Rough life!! It's just a good idea to have the engine in hand when you are putting your plane together, ARF or kit but if you have the plane in hand then you can pick the engine you want/need and just wait until it is in hand.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Bonified Wingnut

I have never had a 40 or a 60. I've had 020,049,074,10,15,19,32,36,52,75,and a 1.4 Gas the only 46 I had is still at the hobby shop because it never would run right. and I skipped the 90-120 size glow because fuel is just too expensive. I might try a 4 stroke in that size range someday.-BW
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Bonified Wingnut

I have never had a 40 or a 60. I've had 020,049,074,10,15,19,32,36,52,75,and a 1.4 Gas the only 46 I had is still at the hobby shop because it never would run right. and I skipped the 90-120 size glow because fuel is just too expensive. I might try a 4 stroke in that size range someday.-BW
I have had most of them but for one reason or another I have none in .60?? I don't think the MDS .68s I still have count as engines. Most of my engines from .91s to 1,20 are four stroke. After that I like gas just because of the fuel cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.