Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 Cub Build Help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sig 1/5 Cub Build Help

Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Batfish310
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/5 Cub Build Help

I'm probably an idiot but I have run into a wall building the Sig 1/5 scale cub. Building as per the instructions I wind up with a bottom door which latches nicely but a top which just closes against it with no provision - that I can find - for keeping it shut. Is it possible that I am the only builder to encounter this glitch (if it is one)? Can someon please help me out?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/5 Cub Build Help

See this thread and/or directly contact KHodges for infor on door latches: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4109774

Also see larger thread for general 1/5 cub info: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1608354
Old 03-07-2010, 02:29 AM
Batfish310

Well - at least now I know I'm not crazy or illiterate. This is the sort of "oops" thing that plagues even the best of kits. All Sig would need to do is reverse the doublers so that the bottom half lip closes over the top half lip - which would, of course, involve a re-tool of the kit, a rewrite of the instructions, and another sheet or two of lite ply, all things they have decided are not cost efficient. As it is they apparently rely on the top half having a good enough friction fit to suffice and keep mum on the obvious gaff. I sent them a message asking what the deal is and it will be interesting to see what sort of BS they come up with. Thank you very much for the info and steer!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM
yachty

batfish,

What did they say about it?
Im wanting to do a build here in Australia.
Trouble is ...the sig importer has gone belly up!
Sig direct havent got kits at the moment!
Cant even find a online company that has them!
Think Ive tried nearly every country and site i can email!

Anyone got one they wish to sell to me?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
davidgeorge212

I think the way they designed it, you are just supposed to have a "snug" fit to keep the top door in place. But that sometimed doesnt work out. What I did was glue two small peices of wood that stick up past the top of the bottom door and then I glued small magnets to them. Then on the top door you can glue 2 more magents so they line up with the magnets on the bottom door. That way when the to door closes it has a magnetic hold. to open it you can turn the handle for the bottom door and pull out and you can then open up both doors.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Davidgeorge's solution is an elegant one. The small superstrong magnets that electrics use a lot to keep the battery compartment closed are perfect for this. Sig built the kit faithful to the fullscale in that the upper door closes on the lower one. I had a latch on the underside of my right wing so I could latch the window open.
It would take a very snug fit to keep the upper door closed without some kind of fastener. In the propwash and slipstream it flaps like a barn door in a tornado. I guess Sig just left it to the builder to improvise.

I've got a set of Robart scale gear for the 1/5 Sig. $90, NIB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77659.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1416515