Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo Reverser ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo Reverser ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Reverser ?

Why spend $40.00 for a reverser, when you can put servo arms on opposite sides.

Question #2 Can I splice 2 6" extensions to make up a short Y harness ?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo Reverser ?

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

There are times when you have two servos on opposite sides of the airplane that need to have the arm at the same level for operating split surfaces like the elevator. Flipping one servos does no good since the both will still rotate the same and flipping one arm around will put it in a different location making it much more difficult to get the two surfaces moving identically. In these instances you need to reverse one servo. Options include buying a reversed servo, mixing them in separate channels, a reversing "Y", something like a matchbox, etc.

Question #2 Can I splice 2 6'' extensions to make up a short Y harness ?
Yes, I've done this a few times. Just make sure the solder joints are good and that you insulate them with heat-shrink tubing. Solder joints can also harden and crack the wire with vibration so I like to support the joint area with a piece of heat-shrink covering everything.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

In order to avoid a servo reverser on dual elevators, I've been known to put the control horn on the underside of the left elevator and the topside of the right elevator. The servos (located in the fuselage sides) are then driven from a standard "Y" cable. The servos are at different heights in the fuselage (left servo is lower in order to line up with its control horn right servo is higher to line up with its control horn). Both elevator halves move exactly together.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 AM
The Ghost

You can do it for general flying but for more accurate(comp flying) you need both linkages to be mirror images of each other to get the exact movement on both surfaces, You can use a reversed servo on one side or in some radios(JR DSX9 and others) they have a mix in them for dual elevator servos.

Question #2 Can I splice 2 6" extensions to make up a short Y harness ?
Yes, I have done it many times and it is a lot cheaper, especially when one side needs to be longer than the other.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
ES CONTROL

Thank you !
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A reverser is needed to have both halves move the same, with the servos mounted with the axis of rotation aligned with the elevators. (usual back of the fuselage installation.)
A reverser isn't needed if the servos can be mounted with the axis of rotation 90 degrees different from the elevators.
Then, using opposite sides for the horns will work. (mounted forward in the cabin, typically.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63276.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1394468  
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just saw a tutorial video on servo reversing. The guy opened up the servo and switched two of the wires at the end of the pot.

Can't you just swap wires in the servo plug?
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Live Wire

Not quit[:@] you want to reverses the direction not the polarity of the electronics. Lots of smoke

You have to switch the wires on the pot and the motor to get it to work.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, the servo plug has 3-wires: battery positive, battery negative, and signal. If those get switched around it won't work at all.

I've never opened one up to switch it inside but I know it can be done. Better be confident in soldering though. A bad joint could end up causing a crash.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
The Ghost

Yes The servo can be reversed, open up the servo by removing the screws holding it together and remove the bottom, if the motor is soldered directly to the board(surface mount no wiring) close it back up, if it has wires as shown, First photo you would swap the Purple/Brown wires(pot wires), and ASLO swap the motor wires Blue/Green(motor wires) photo 2. The colour of the wiring may be different but you just swap the same wires.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71539.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	1396611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64788.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	1396612