Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Y Harness as a Lead Extension?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Y Harness as a Lead Extension?

Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y Harness as a Lead Extension?

Hello!

I recently finished rebuilding a Tiger 60, but modified the original to have the elevator and rudder servos mounted in the tail. This requires two servo extensions, but I have none on hand.
Being impatiant, is it possible to hook up a Y harness in place of the lead, using just two of the three plugs?I understand it will reverse the servo on one side, but will it cause interference, battery drain, etc?

Thank you

Graeme
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Y Harness as a Lead Extension?

Hey,
yes it's possible. It won't cause any troubles.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks for the quick reply!
Okay then - Tiger 60 is ready to go!

Graeme
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Graeme,

Yes it will work however it introduces another potential source of failiure. Having once lost a model to a dodgey "Y" lead I now never use them or extensions. It is very easy to solder servo wire extensions to the servo and you never have to worry about the connectors corroding. In the same manner it is so easy to use a second Rx connection as a slave when running a servo on each elevator half or the like. Just my two cents worth but remember Murphey's law.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks Crash -

Having already sealed up the fuselage, I can't really change it, but I'll note it as something to replace if I need to open the plane up, such as a crash caused by a failed Y-Harness used as a servo extension! \

Graeme
Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just use some dental floss and tie the two connectors together if there is a concern that they would come apart.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Tall Paul

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Hello!

I recently finished rebuilding a Tiger 60, but modified the original to have the elevator and rudder servos mounted in the tail. This requires two servo extensions, but I have none on hand.
Being impatiant, is it possible to hook up a Y harness in place of the lead, using just two of the three plugs? I understand it will reverse the servo on one side, but will it cause interference, battery drain, etc?

Thank you

Graeme
An ordinary Y-harness will not reverse either servo direction. That requires a Y-harness purpose with a reversing circuit.
Just support any extensions so they can't self-disconnect in flight.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi All,

Just a bit more info on extensions and "Y" leads from personal experience. Like I stated earlier in this thread I lost a model through "dodgey" connections on a "Y" lead and eventually cured strange aileron jitters in another model when I replaced a servo extension lead. In neither of these cases did the conncetion come loose but they corroded to the point that electrical conductivity was compromised. A process of elemination checking all connections and switches revealed the extension connector and or the "Y" lead connector to be the culprit. In both cases these were models that were over five years old and the connections had only been used the once when the model was built. If they had been plugged and unplugged regularly there probably wouldn't have been a problem. I live in an area of very high summer temperatures and high humidity close to the coast so corrosion is probably more of an issue than in less humid and salt laden conditions.

Now when I need to extend a servo lead I cut the connector off and solder in a length of high quality twisted servo wire to the length required and then resolder the original gold plug back on. The joints are insulated with heat shrink tubing and supported by silicon rubber binding tape. I have been using this method for many years and have yet to experience a failure. Switches well.........thats another saga.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks again for all of the replies - very helpful.

I taped the connections together where I would not have access to them, and wrapped and tied the spare connector as suggested above.

Graeme
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the servos removable? Get the right extension if it is, you can get them on ebay for about 2 bucks each. Then take the servos out, hook the new ones to the old ones, pull them through, and connect them to the servos. You can get by with the Y for now, but get the right ones coming and do it right as soon as you get them. Then you don't ever have to worry about it.