Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Single Battery Gas set up?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Single Battery Gas set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Battery Gas set up?

Hey guys

I saw a post on this, but can't find it. I am thinking of hooking up my 120 sized gas plane to a single LiPo battery. It doesn't have 2 leads coming off the battery, so I was going to run a Y and have one go to a regulator then receiver, and the other lead go to regulator and ignition. Both have noise filters (ceramic rings) on them.

I think some guys were using an open bay in their reciever and running and extension from receiver to ignition, but that seems like it would be more prone to RF noise if anything?

thanks for any help
Tim
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Single Battery Gas set up?

Never run both receiver and ign off the same battery, NO matter how many filters are ther you will get feed back from the ign, use two seperste batteries. I know why! You will need a new model if you do.

Cheers
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I try to get out to two IMAC events every year and as yet haven't seen anyone running off of one battery. I'm sure there are some people doing it, I have just never seen it. My thinking runs right along with Ghosts but I have been proven wrong before. Just doesn't sound like a good idea even with 2.4.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
trpastor

I know this is controversial, but when you are dealing with a 120 sized plane, 4 oz of weight is equvilent to 1/2 a lb in a 50cc plane. That can be the differnce between it flying good and great. There is a thread somewhere with this discussion and many doing it succesfully. Perhaps it's on flyingginats site but I thought i saw it here too.

Anyone know where that is?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anything run 4 batteries so you have redundancy in both. Never substitute saftey for performance.-BW

(I meant sacrifice..oops. Gives it a whole new meaning)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Troy Built Models sells a device that claims to allow single battery operations for the very reason you state. I have not used the device, nor do I know anyone brave enough to try it. I agree with BW's statement, "never sacrifice safety for performance." If your that concerned about weight you could run two small 2 cell 500 mah lipos and charge them after each flight. Also, I don't what kind of regulator you are using but the little Castle Creations regulator is very light and can handle 10 AMPS, you may be able to save some weight their as well.

Regards,

Tom