Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver Controlled On Off Switch

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver Controlled On Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Warwick Laken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Controlled On Off Switch

I have just received 2 Turnigy receiver controlled on of switches that will be used to operate landing lights etc. When wired up exactly as the supplied diagram, I get nothing. I have tried on my Futaba 72 and 2.4 radios, all batteries fully charged etc to no avail. The only difference to their diagrams is that I do not use a BEC to power the receiver, Just the standard 6 volt nicads. I did try with 4.8 volts to the receiver before going to 6 volts. The battery to the load is 6 volts and so far only connected to 6 LEDs.. The LEDs work fine when connected directly to the battery.

There is not much to these circuits, so I must be doing something wrong!

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Warwick
Old 03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Receiver Controlled On Off Switch

Many times with switches like this they are looking for a certain point on the control before they trigger. It's possible that the channel you are using isn't getting to that point to trigger the control. Try using End Point Adjustment for the channel and moving it all the way to it's extreme (for both the on and off position of the switch) and see if that will trigger the switch to operate.

Ken
Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was looking for a receiver controlled switch I saw the Turnigy switches. A lot of the user feedback was negative concerning their function. I have used three of these, http://www.dimensionengineering.com/BattleSwitch.htm , and they have operated flawlessly. For $25 you can't beat their 100,000 average cycle life. And they are small enough for most any plane and will control up to 10amps
Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Warwick Laken

Thanks for the inputs, I tried the end point adjustment, but the switch still did not operate.

The remarks by airbusdrvr made me look at the web site for the negative responses. Strangly the necessary modification was described.

Simply solder a piece of wire between the negative of the servo connector cable and the negative side of the load and battery. Switch works a treat.

The web site should, I think, mention this mod if you are not using a BEC unit or make a switch that does not need a BEC.

Thanks for the help

Warwick
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
The Ghost

I have several of the Turnigy switches and the wiring diagram that came with the switches showed that the earths of seperate batteries had to be joined together and it also states this in the instructions.

Cheers