Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

starters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM
twinshockdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starters

my geared magnum starter running off 12v battery will not turn my saito 180
will it work using 3000mah 14.8v lipo ?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:57 PM
snuts

Default RE: starters

I can't say if it will spin this particular motor. But I can tell you that 14.8V pack won't hurt your starter (intermittent duty)
Hope this helps, and I think it will actually.
-Snuts-

Can you run 2 packs in parallel, it would be better.
After re-reading your original post, the 3000mah may be light. Actually, if you run only the 3000mah pack fuse it to limit the load according to the "C" rating of the battery
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want better performance from your starter then always start first with voltage. Thats the magic bullit. If you are using a portable unit with 12 volt then that is hopeless especially if its a geared unit. 14.4 is better and 16.8 is about optimum. Of course the largest capacity batterys you can carry are part of the equation.

If buying new lipos frequently for your starter turns you off I would avoid lipos like the plague for starters. There is simply no easy way to keep track of and avoid deep discharges which of course destroys the battery almost every time. This is what will happen when your starter is the best performing at the field and constantly being borrowed.
John

I use two seven cell nimh packs from around 1900 mah to 5000 mah Which provides 16.8 volts in my three primary starters.

John
Old 03-27-2010, 11:09 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I have been running my geared starter on eighteen volts for a long time.
It will turn my Saito 1:80.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I ran my Sullivan starter on 18 volts last summer. Cheap pac from Harbor Freight that worked fine until one cell died. Be sure to add a fuse or suffer the impending melt down from a short or stalled starter. I let someone borrow my set up and learned the hard way. This year I am experimenting with a 19.2 volt 2a pac. This set up spins my Zenoah G26 like a 1/2A motor. No smoke or funny smells yet!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I was using the Tower/Hobbico HD starter off 14.4volts, and it would turn over a 1.20 2s or 1.10 4s with a 'running start;' 1.80 would be a bit much. I'd go with more voltage.

Also don't forget to use the appropriate sized (big) rubber spinner insert.