Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need some suggestions

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need some suggestions

Old 07-03-2003, 03:32 AM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some suggestions

I got roped into CD'ing our club fun fly this year and am having trouble coming up with ideas. We have a small club and are not expecting alot of pilots, but I would like it to be a good time for those who are there. Problem is, it is supposed to happen on July 12, 2003. I am looking for some ideas on what to do for some competitions. I really don't have alot of time to put anything fancy together so it is kinda tough to come up with things that will set up fast and not take all day to complete. It will be a one day event and I can guarantee that the wind will come up by about 1:00 p.m., (it always does everyday during the summer around here), so we are going to be pressed for time and I want to give everyone a chance to fly in between events.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

T.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:04 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well there is a little interlude competitive event that only takes a very short time to conduct and set up. It always gets great attention and never fails to induce uncontrolled laughter, To say the least its a huge crowd pleaser.

It goes something like this: First only trainers allowed, two cones in the middle of the runway about two hundred feet apart The competitors are lined up in a race horse start fashion a few feet apart. At the drop of the flag their off and the first to complete ten laps around those two cones is the winner. Oh, almost forgot to mention, 'no' wings allowed!
Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of possibilities. Most require a stopwatch.

1) Timed glide. Pilot gets plane in take off position. Once ready, timer says "Go". Pilot has (timed) 30 seconds to climb as high as possible, then must "kill" the engine (no idling allowed). Glides as long as possible. Time stops when any part of the plane touches down. Longest glide wins event.

Variation on above. Pilot guesses how long his glide lasted. Closest wins.

2) Take off, once pilot is at a comfortable height, timer says go. Pilot has 20 or 30 or whatever, seconds to do as many loops, rolls, or both, as possible. Highest number wins.

Of course there are limbo contests; two 10 foot poles with crepe paper stretched between them. Keep lowering the paper until pilots don't make it, or don't try.

Or egg drops; paper cup rubber banded to top of plane. Egg inserted and pilot takes off. Once over target, pilot rolls (or loops) to drop the egg. Closest to target wins.

Any of these can have bomus points added for landing closest to a point or circle on the runway. (No taxiing allowed.)

Lots of others. Get creative.
Dennis-
Old 07-04-2003, 01:09 AM
_kearney_

try one where you have to land closest to the second line. but you have to pass the second line. and you cant jump over the first line and you have to idle once on the ground.... Line 2 should be about 7 feet from the first line..

try to make sense of this!!!

have fun!
Old 07-04-2003, 02:22 AM
huggins

check out RC Report website

http://www.rcreport.ws/funfly.htm

Mike
Old 07-04-2003, 02:43 PM
SDR-Hammer

We just had our club fun fly and it was a big hit. Here are some of the events we had.

-Balloon break. Balloons filled with helium and tethered with crepe paper from five to fifteen feet off the ground different points awarded for a balloon break or a tethered break.

-Jellybean carry. Attach a paper cup to the plane and fill with ten jellybeans pilot takes off does some predetermined maneuvers, lands and count remaining jellybeans.

-Taxi. Fastest time to taxi around some pylons

-Touch and go’s. Lines were painted on the runway and points are awarded for touching down in certain areas.

-Spins. 60 seconds to do as many spins as possible

-Limbo. A progressively lowered crepe paper line.

-Toilet paper drop. Drop a roll of TP from an airplane and try to cut as it falls. (This one was very difficult but was very fun for the spectators) We are moving this to a bonus event next year.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Tippie

As JohnBuckner suggested, when the wind picks up (1:00pm) have a ground race (wings removed), we did this when winds gusted to 30+mph.

You could see who can be most fuel efficient and empty all the tanks and take a hypodermic needle and fill with 1 oz (or more) of fuel (electrics disqualified, ha) and time the flights, from takeoff to landing.

Have a prettiest/ugliest/lightest/heaviest competition for free soda/chips.

Egg drop. Attach a styrofoam cup with rubber bands and make a target circle on the field. Have the cup large enough so that the egg will not wedge in and refuse to come out. Requires enough experience to fly inverted, loop or roll.

Precision landing as with gliders. 25/50/100/50/25 point landing area. Can't loose any part of the airplane on landing (crash).
Old 07-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

View this page on our site.
It has some ideas!
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/..._fly_ideas.htm
Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this one. The pilot takes off and trys to fly for exactly 2 minutes. The time starts when the wheels leave the grond and stops when the wheels touch the ground. The pilot cannot have any type of timer. The closest to 2 minutes wins.

Another timed event that is fun is to take off, loop, roll, land. The fastest wins.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:26 PM
tsawyer148
My Feedback: (8)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up putting together a couple of different events where I combined a few different ideas into each. It went well even though we had to cut it short because as I feared, the wind came up like it ALWAYS does around here.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

T.