Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

After Run Oil???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

After Run Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil???

For years I never used after run in my 2 strokes . Now I am braking in a OS91 4 stroke. What should I be doing?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: After Run Oil???

If you are using your engines every weekend or quite frequently its not as important that you use after run oil but still it is a good idea to do so every now and then. I use it in all of my engines just because I dont know when the next time I will be running them.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
jay2000dakota

I run my engines dry after every day I use them, I shoot some oil into the crank case vent. I use mix 70/30 marvel msytery oil and rislone as after run oil. If the engines are going to sit for a while I pull the glow plug and put some oil in the cylinder. For winter storage I put oil in the crankcase and cylinder, then I pull the rocker covers and put some down the pushrod tubes, I do the same thing before the first run of the season.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
jay2000dakota

I don't own any 2 strokes, but I used to shoot some oil down the carb after the end was done.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Stick 40

I generly use marvel, I like to put 4 or 5 drops in at the end of a flying day .Thats after running the engine dry after the last flight of the day. If I am flying a plane over and over, I may skip the oil once in a while.

But fall comes and I oil them up very well, 15 drops in the carb. Take out the plug and 5 drops on the piston . I figure a quart of mistery oil cost about $5 and will last for years. What does a 4 cycle motor cost?

sticks
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

For years I never used after run in my 2 strokes . Now I am braking in a OS91 4 stroke. What should I be doing?
Same thing you have always done. If you haven't had a problem with your two strokes there isn't going to be a problem with a four stroke. I don't get a lot of moisture or humidity here but I do run my engines dry at the end of the day if I think about it. I have always used a fuel with a blended oil though and never used any type of after run oil unless the engine was taken apart and cleaned with straight alcohol, then I use the Marvel Mystery oil. We also fly all year long so my engines never sit for more then a month or so.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Some will say that it is not needed at all, but the one point that cannot be argued is, it is cheap insurance. I have a 3 dollar bottle of after run oil that I have used for years and it is still half full. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

would you run the oil out of your car and then squirt in a drop?

if you want to use it, use it, but don't run the fuel out of the engine every time you are done. Over time it does more damage. I have been just flying till I am done and then cleaning up the plane for over 30 years and never had a problem. Putting in after run oil was started by marketers i think!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Some after run oils can harm the O rings in the carburator, ( especially on OS Max engines). I always remove the plug andplace a few drops directly into the cylinder.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Stick 40

I know there has been a lot of back and forth on this after run oil thing.

I think I got dirt in my .46 evo and removed the back plate to flush it with water. The back of the crank and bearings showed rust stain. I kind of got lazy on the after run at the end of a flying day. There were so many saying , they did not use it.

But it is a used engine, I got it with a plane. I don't know what the other guy did.

I plan to go back to using after run oil ( marvel that is ), the cost is almost nothing.

sticks
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

if you want to use it, use it, but don't run the fuel out of the engine every time you are done. Over time it does more damage. I have been just flying till I am done and then cleaning up the plane for over 30 years and never had a problem. Putting in after run oil was started by marketers i think!
I'm still using power Master fuel with blended oil. If I run my engines dry at the end of the day today and open up the back plate tomorrow guess what runs out all over the bench?? Give up, castor oil. All your doing is running out the alcohol and some of the oil, there is still a good oil residue left in the engine. Don't confuse a car engine with a glow engine. I haven't hurt an engine in 54 years doing it this way.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

ORIGINAL: FrankHawks
I always remove the plug and place a few drops directly into the cylinder.
Where I live, near salt and high humidity, my cylinder does fine, my failure if I don't use after run oil (almost in a matter of days),
are the bearings.
I found after run oil a necessity, and worked best when I did run the engine dry first. I would drain the nitro content from my engine to answer the question, and add just oil as a preservative. I flush the engines, especially 4 strokes through the vent nipple.

I have a Harry Higley book on engine care, he wrote ARO is recommended. Maybe some others would agree. But this is a first suggesting not to do it that I've read and I find it a mistake in my area , having tropical humid conditions and salt eating up.
Even my speakers in the house over time, it's a must.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original question if about a four-stroke motor. Running it until is stops only purges fuel to the carb. All the residual oil/fuel is still in the crankcase. Second thought: sometime take a small glass bowl and mix a tsp or two of your fuel with a few drops of your after run oil. I think you'll be surprised. After seeing that, you have to wonder what good after run oil does.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Marvel mystery oil has a cutting agent in it. I know several will say I've used it for years, but its a fact that it contains a cutting agent. Marvel does make an air tool oil that is great for after run oil. This question pops up ever so often. I use it regularly, run my engine dry after flying day ends,and drop a few drops in the carb,on 4ST's I flip and run some in the vent tube,turning the prop so engine will ingest it. Like was said earlier cheap insurance. I've read and heard that putting it in threw carb,can damage o-ring gasket,but never had a problem, just like some may not have a problem with marvel in there engines.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

Marvel mystery oil has a cutting agent in it. I know several will say I've used it for years, but its a fact that it contains a cutting agent. Marvel does make an air tool oil that is great for after run oil. This question pops up ever so often. I use it regularly, run my engine dry after flying day ends,and drop a few drops in the carb,on 4ST's I flip and run some in the vent tube,turning the prop so engine will ingest it. Like was said earlier cheap insurance. I've read and heard that putting it in threw carb,can damage o-ring gasket,but never had a problem, just like some may not have a problem with marvel in there engines.
You don't want to use any petroleum products in A YS engine because it will destroy some little things like the diaphragm. The instructions state this but people still do it and wonder why there engine quits running after a while. I haven't seen any of the oils used as an after run harm the silicone O-rings in any glow engines but it seems others have?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

You don't want to use any petroleum products in A YS engine because it will destroy some little things like the diaphragm. The instructions state this but people still do it and wonder why there engine quits running after a while. I haven't seen any of the oils used as an after run harm the silicone O-rings in any glow engines but it seems others have?
I would agree with that, never owned a YS or a pumped engine,but that makes very good sense not to use it in those engines.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I would agree with that, never owned a YS or a pumped engine,but that makes very good sense not to use it in those engines.
I use synthetic oil in my YS engines. I did use castor but it will gum up some of the little fuel passage ways if left in the engine for long periods of time. Not a big deal. Probably better for the bearings which is the reason for after run oil. Just means the carb and mount area need to be removed and cleaned.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Klotz FogON engine storage lubricant, KL-610. It's synthetic lube, doesn't attack gaskets or diaphragms, and is easy to apply from an aerosol can. Go to [link=http://klotzlube.com]Klotz[/link].
Old 06-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The after run oil sold in hobby shops is quite expensive. Two products that work every bit as well and much better than Marvel Mystery Oil are ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and Rislone (in the yellow container). Normally, just a few drops do not do the required job of protection. To properly protect the innards of your engine, you need to coat all bearings with a film of the after run oil else you are just kidding yourself that you are getting any benefit from it. On a four stroke engine, you must get it into the crankcase, not carb inlet or exhaust, to do any real good. And not just a drop or two, at least a teaspoon full. Any air tool oil will work well also but will be more expensive than the Rislone or ATF. The oils that do not work well are sewing machine oil, gun oil and Marvel Mystery Oil although the Air Tool Marvel Mystery Oil is good. Above all, DO NOT USE WD40, as that will just release any rust particles that might exist and use that as a grinding compound to wear out your engine the next time you run it.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Oberst
Banned

Use it every time I put my planes in storage for more than a month. I just don't put it in my Carb due to the possibility of it eating away my O-rings, I take the glow plug out and put a few squirts in that way. It keeps the bearings and the crank from rusting and prevents old glow sludge from forming. In the winter I put a little in my glow tank so the sludge doesn't build up in the tank.

And when ever I use a Du-Bro Kwik-Fill instead of a Fuel Dot , once every 2 years I put a little in the valve itself so the spring and valve doesn't start sticking.

Now if you don't have After Run Oil, I head that Mystery Oil does about the same thing that After Run Oil does, and it's a bit cheaper. Matter in fact it smells about the same as I recall.

Pete
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't hurt anything with an after-run oil. I use Dextron III ATF in my engines.