Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WHAT ENGINE TO USE

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WHAT ENGINE TO USE

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT ENGINE TO USE

Hi Guys, I have been away from the R/C aircraft sport for sometime and I am not familiar with today's engine technology. I am currently building an old (circa 1975) Sterling Fokker D-7 war bird and I am wondering what OS Engines has that will both fit and power this bird adequately. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHAT ENGINE TO USE

fs 91 0r 75ax
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the size and estimated weight of the airplane? To me, that D-7 wouldn't be right unless it had a 4-stroke in it. I think it would just sound more appropriate.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

fs 91 0r 75ax
Hi,

IMHO the four strike is more appropriate not that there is anything wrong with the 75AX but four strokes have that sound.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And if you want you can change the sound of the four stroke just by using the stock header and adding flex tube to it and changing the length until you hit the sound you like. They sound pretty cool without the stock mufflers.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 AM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the input guys! My bad, I forgot to include that a 45 to 65 engine is Sterlings suggested engine size and that the weight should come in at 8 to 10 lbs. BTW the engine size is two cycle as there weren't many 4 strokes back in 1975 when I purchased this kit. Yes, I've been carrying it around for 35 years. LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Bill, be pretty careful about your engine choice.  With a kit like that, you almost want to pick an engine based on weight rather than anything else.  I'd suggest determining how much weight you need to have the CG within range, and then determining your engine with that in mind.

Power-wise,  the suggested engines may be a bit much for a WW1 biplane of that size.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What MikeL says is true, however... WWI birds had BIG, HEAVY engines (with very little power by today's standards) so they had relatively short noses. This means that a modeled version can handle the weight of a large engine (and usually needs additional nose weight) - AND, they had huge, kite-like wings, so they can usually lift that extra weight plus a piano or two..

This plane sounds similar in size to a Sopwith Camel that I had. The plane flew very well with an OS 70 4-stroke and it was still more power than it needed.