Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starter Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starter Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Batteries

Hi

I currently own a PowerPro HD 12V Starter by Hangar 9 and the base for the battery. The question i have is which of these 2 batteries sources offered by Hangar 9 will have a longer lifetime and durability ?

1. Starter Source with 1.3Ah Gel Cell by Hangar 9

2. Starter Source with 12V NiCd by Hangar 9 (10 Cell)

I previously had the Gell Cell version and it lasted for about 6 years, I normally fly about 2 times a month. I am familiar with NICD and NIMH batteries but not sure about the Gel Cell type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks Scott
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starter Batteries

Hi Scott,

In a starter battery you are looking for instant current to spin the starter against the compression of the motor. To calculate the current you need the Amps and volts for each. I suspect the Gel Cel would likely outperform the NiCd but you havent supplied the info.
Life depends on storage and duty cycles, again I suspect the Gel Cel would be the go based on your 6 years of life with the previous battery. I use an old marine lead acid battery and it has been going strong for over ten years, (with regular charging).

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
huck1199

The 1.3 ahr battery is pretty low capacity. You might consider a 3-4 cell lipo in the 4000-5000 mah range.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Hi

I do not know the performance qualities between these 2 batteries that is why i posted this.

Here is the link to Horizon website which shows both of the products.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN164

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN163

Huck1199

I would consider using a the LIPO as you recommended but the Hangar 9 starter I own has the holes drilled specifically for these 2 packs.
Most of all i just like this setup because it is wire free and you don't have to connect it to your field box battery.

Thanks Scott