Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Testing Servos - Will I Damage them??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Testing Servos - Will I Damage them??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Servos - Will I Damage them??

Hey Guys - I was going to do a little servo testing. I was going to set them up on a stand and see what kind of torque they have. So I was going to put on a 1" arm and put on 120oz (for a 120oz/in servo) and see if they have the power they state

If I stall them out will this damage them?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Testing Servos - Will I Damage them??

For a valid test, remember that the arm must be perpendicular to the load all the time.
Once the arm starts rising up, the lever decreases and the torque imposed to the servo by the very same load decreases as well.

I believe that the max torque happens close to the stall condition, for which the amps flowing throught the motor and electronic components is max (about 0.6 amps for standard servos).

IMO, a brief test cannot harm the servo, since it is just like a stall situation, which may happen anytime in regular use (due to excesive airspeed, linkage friction, wrong geometry, etc.)
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Just don't jerk the load and you'll be fine. That's what they servos are made to do.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you do not stall the servo there should be no damage. However, if stalled, the back EMF (the force that limits the current) falls to zero and then the current is limited only by the resistance of the wire which may allow enough current to flow to ruin the servo.