Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4*60 Cowl Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4*60 Cowl Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 01:14 PM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 Cowl Question

Hi guys!

Haven't been on this forum for about 5 months now. Been busy at work. My unfinished plane has been just sitting there.. But now, I'm back in fever.. and hopefully will finish it in about a month. Now that I'm back doing it.. I have a question:

If I put a cowl on my plane made out of balsa, I will probably glue it on to the fuselage.. with that in mind, it will be imposible to remove the engine without cutting out the cowl. Should I make the cowl removable? or is it not nessecery, as long as i have access to all parts of the engine for cleaning? Will I need to take off the engine, other than if it's broken?

Thanks,

-eugn
Old 07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Aeromodeler

You should be able to gain access to your engine without upsetting the plane..... The Sig Smith Mini Biplane Cowl fits and looks great on a 4*60...............
Theres some nice pics of homemade balsa cowls on RCU. Might give you some ideas as to the finish...........
Old 07-17-2003, 03:11 PM
ebeygin

as to access.. i have no problems.. the way i'm gonna build my cowl, is that the opening will be large enough to access any part of the engine.. but i will not be able to remove the engine, with out cutting the cowl...
is that ok?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:10 AM
h8w8n

Default cowl.

I am currently building a GB Tiger 60 with cowl built from an article in RCM something like july of 2000 or so and the article includes the same cowl on a 4*60. The wood sizes are a little diferent than with the tiger. The cowl is perminently glued to the firewall. Mine is finished and being covered. I can easily remove the engine but not the motor mount. I'm using a Saito 91. I just had to make the width of the hole in the side such that the mounting lugs on the side of the engine just barely cleared.
If you don't make the engine removable you will almost certainly have to remove it. That would mean cutting it off of the firewall.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
ebeygin

Thanks!

I have a PDF file of how to build a cowl too. I think it's the same one you've got..
In that case, I'm gonna make the hole big enough for the engine to squeeze through!..

-eugn