Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Re-use of Rubber Bands?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Re-use of Rubber Bands?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 07:37 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-use of Rubber Bands?

I always throw away my used wing hold down rubber bands at the end of each flying day. I have always considered 8-10 rubber bands a cheap price to pay for the peace of mind I get from knowing I have new rubber on each time I fly. Now I know that new bands can fail too, but have never personally had one do so. I can usually find someone to take 'em, and I'm always getting harangued about how to clean and reuse them...To which I always respond that yes, I could clean, dry, and test each one, just before I threw it out! It's cheap insurance, as far as I'm concerned. How about you?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Dsegal

I reuse rubber bands. At each use I stretch them hard and discard those that break, are cracked or limp. I rotate one or two new ones each time out as some are discarded. The real killer of rubber bands is not fuel residue, but UV. (I have watched rubber bands pop off in the sun on electric models.) Quality rubber bands have a high natural rubber content and are vulnerable to UV. The cheaper ones from Staples have less natural rubber and last longer. And I don't save any for the next season! (G)

Dave Segal
Old 07-06-2003, 09:18 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been throwing mine away after every flying session. Of course I have them only on my trainer. However, you know the commercial:

Avistar Trainer: $99.00
OS 46FX: $109.00
Flight Pack: $149.00

New Rubber each session: Priceless
Old 07-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get a container and put baby powder in it. Then place your rubber bands in the container after you fly and shake it to get the rubber bands coated in powder.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 PM
SST

Originally posted by Geistware:

"Get a container and put baby powder in it. Then place your rubber bands in the container after you fly and shake it to get the rubber bands coated in powder."

THEN throw them away! BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAhahahah!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Rubber bands are SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:05 AM
SST

Maybe I have a conspicuous consumption problem...
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 AM
lownslo

I get out the old #11 blade, and walla!! They are removed in an instant. Rubber bands are about the cheapest thing we consume in this hobby. It is just not worth my time.... and as others have mentioned...... peace of mind the wing will stay on!! .... lownslo......

Bob
Old 07-07-2003, 05:09 AM
Grampaw

True, rubber bands are one of the chearper items we use in R/C flying. Dumping them after each flying session is not such big deal to some, while others choose to reuse them after ridding them of fuel residue. When a lot of guys my age were learning to fly not many models had bolt on wings. Rubber bands were common and everyone used them. Getting good rubber bands back then was not as easy for some us as it is today, and a lot of guys had a favorite method to clean them. I guess for a lot of us still in this hobby the idea of throwing them away after one session is wasteful. So when we come out with ways to make them last a bit longer, bear with us, we remember the whens. I remember my first "bolt-on" wing, and how excited I was not to have to mess with those greasy rubber bands anymore. But lo these many years later, I still have a couple of planes with wings that have to be secured with rubber bands, and I dry and stretch "em before each use, just like in the old days...still just doing my thing.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Geistware

Ditto on what he said.

And for you guy's who don't reuse, pick up your damm rubber bands before you leave the pits!!!
Old 07-07-2003, 05:32 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a container of sawdust to store used rubber bands in. It absorbs the oil but they don't dry out. They will last a couple months this way. Save your money for fuel.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:22 AM
rorywquin

In Europe there are white rubber bands available - these are wider than the standard brown tyoe and come in various lengths suitable for the hobby - they seem to last for ages and are not significantly more expensive than the brown bands. They do not seem to get softened by the fuel as quickly as the brown bands - I suspect they may have some silicone in them !!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ram3500
I use a container of sawdust to store used rubber bands in. It absorbs the oil but they don't dry out. They will last a couple months this way. Save your money for fuel.
Ditto. When I was flying planes with ruberbanded wings, we would wipe them off and set them in the sawdust until next time. Never had a wing come off in flight.
Make sure you look the rubber bands over pretty good as you are putting them on. Check after each flight and add one if you notice any broken. That being said you should do it if you have new or used bands!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 AM
lownslo

Carlos said:
And for you guy's who don't reuse, pick up your damm rubber bands before you leave the pits!!!
I am a rubber band "cutter" as mentioned above.... I agree with Carlos, and I DO pick up my rubber bands AND a lot of other guy's other trash too. I made 3 big sand cigarette containers with printing, "please..no trash". Yeah... right!! (by the way...I used to smoke 3 packs a day) Our club has a "you brought it... you take it home policy". I made a nice container for plastic grocery sacks so guys could have sacks and the trash problem has improved.(as long as we keep the box supplied with sacks)
To grampaw and the rest who save rubber bands.... I understand your feelings and I am usually NOT that wasteful. There is just something about the rubber band deal that I pitch them.....lownslo
Old 07-07-2003, 12:29 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Here's an old trick from way back when. After removing the rubber bands from the aircraft when your done flying put them in a bag with corn starch. It pulls the oil out and keeps the rubber bands clean and fresh. Its not the cost of the rubber bands. Its that run to find more when there is no need.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Grampaw

Hey lownslo..we all got our own way of going huh? Back in the
"old" days the rubber bands we could get were pretty good, so we naturally tried to keep "em around as long as possible, but nowdays I trust only one or two sources for "good" rubber bands and it is just a hold over habit to nowdays drop them into a lidded can of Kitty Litter and stretch check them before the next use. But I have progressed some and today I swing either way, I use both the rubber bands and bolts, but I haven't decided on which bolts yet, metal or plastic. Wait guys! That wasn't meant to start another thread on bolts! Dang it.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:59 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back when I was a newbie a long time ago, I used to put them in a can of cat litter. Works well. don't get the kind that clumps. I have to use them on my magic now because it is too tight for wing bolts. I just throw them away now. It is so expensive to keep replacing them. I think I get a 2 pound box of #64 bands for something like $1.75. It isn't worth the trouble to save them and re-use them.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:30 PM
mulligan

You can drive your car 25,000 miles before changing your oil, too...

- George
Old 07-09-2003, 04:27 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

I've done the talcum powder thing, but I actually liked storing them in alcohol, better.
(yes, regular rubbing alcohol, and I'd change it when it got "oily")

Most of my stuff is bolt-on wing now, or "one-piece", so it doesn't affect me either way.
Still... I used to reuse them for several sessions, when all my wings were banded.
NO, they don't cost much, but I never got used to the idea of throwing
them away, when they were still in perfect shape... but that's just me.
Once you're accustomed to the bands, you know how they feel, once they're getting
weak. You know how far they should stretch, how tight it should feel at the end, etc...
As long as they passed the stretch test, and as long as there were NO nicks
along the edges, I reused them. Can't say I've ever had one break, honestly.

I certainly have never lost a plane because of re-using rubber bands.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:26 PM
SST

Well,
I must admit that I sometimes keep and re-use rubber bands, just never in a flying capacity. There are plenty of times when I need a rubber band binding to hold gluing parts while the glue sets, and since they often wind up semi-glued on themselves and require cutting off, I will keep a limited ammount of used bands in my building supplies in a labeled container.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:51 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by mulligan
You can drive your car 25,000 miles before changing your oil, too...

- George
Do you change your tires every time you get back from the corner store too?

Everything has a life span! Rubberbands can last for many flight sessions. A quick inspection as you put them on, discard ones that feel over streatched, or have nicks.
Wipe them off with a rag or towel after you're done and store them in something that will soak up the oil.
No worries.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:43 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

I have always re-used my rubber bands. Have stored them in a metal container with floor dry in it, just put them in & give it a shake, ready for next time . I always use plenty on my planes so if one or two break during a flight no big deal! When flying free flight back in the 50's we used to use one piece of 3/16 rubber 3 ft long & tie the ends together, go from one dowel to another & back & forth. Invented the yard dart one day when at about 400 ft we heard the rubber snap & swish, swish as it came off! Scratch one Pacer C & a new Mc Coy 29. Part of the learning process! MAX H.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:20 PM
tiggerinmk

Originally posted by rorywquin
In Europe there are white rubber bands available - these are wider than the standard brown tyoe and come in various lengths suitable for the hobby
Yup, I remember those!
I keep asking myself, why in this land of the free where everything is supposedly available in umpteen different varieties, where is the decent bacon, pork pies, pasties, tea, salad cream and 'proper hobby grade' elastic bands!
Old 07-11-2003, 11:28 PM
ctshaynes

I reuse them, I really don't bother to store them special, or clean them more than a quick wipe. I just check them good before each day of flying, replace any suspects, and I also use 12 on each side.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:36 AM
voyager_663rd

I've read that using talcum (baby) powder is NOT the way to go. It contains gypsum (mini-rocks so to speak) that introduce micro-tears in the bands.

Kitty (non-clumping) litter is my choice over night.

Then use 'em for a weekend and toss 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.