Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS .91 4S won't run

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS .91 4S won't run

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 AM
milodub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .91 4S won't run

I'm getting back into flying after a 5 year hiatus...and trying to get this engine to run with no luck. This not a pumped engine and it is probably +/- 0 years old. It used to run flawlessly and wasn't crashed. The problem seems to be it just won't suck fuel into the carb, priming is very difficult and it won't hold its prime.

Here is what I've done:

new plug and fresh fuel; confirmed glow plug igniter is working fine

replaced all fuel lines and tested tank for leakstank holds air pressure fine

disassembled the carb, cleaned and reassembled

checked and adjusted valves per manual

opened low and high end needle valves per manual and experimented a lot with the low end valve adjusting to no avail

engine turns over by hand fine, sounds like it is popping when Itry to startw/ my elec. starterbut it just won't run!

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
huck1199

Default RE: OS .91 4S won't run

Carb seals tight? case bolts tight? glow plug tight? I am sure you checked these but a re-check won't hurt.

Will it suck when you choke it with your thumb?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

It sounds like a valve isn't seating or closing properly. Check that there isn't carbon or other grunge (Castor gum) stopping one of the valves (or both?) from seating properly. You will need to remove the head to check this. If you need to remove the valve/s try doing it inside a plastic bag to avoid a dose of Murphey's law, otherwise the spring and collets tend to disappear into the furthest reaches of the workshop never to be found again.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 AM
mikegordon10

I'll go along with the valve idea. I've had a couple of these that when not run for a while one or both of the valves will stick in the open configuration. The only thing that closes them is the springs. If they get gunked up with castor or whatever they will stick open. It's a pretty easy fix-just pour a little fuel over the top end with the cover off and work em and watch to see if they really are closing.