Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dual Receivers??

Old 07-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Roadkingofskies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Receivers??

Hello to all!
I have only been registered on this forum a short while, but I am finding it an asset in all facets.

Now for my question. I am in the very early stages of building a 40% Piel Emeraude. I was in a local, and very knowledgeable hobby shop yesterday picking up the last of the accessories for it. Naturally, the question was asked what I was building. After giving specifics, i.e. power, etc., I was asked if I intended to run dual receivers. I am running a Futaba Super Seven PCM 1024 radio with 10 servos. 2 ailerons, 2 flaps, 2 elevator, 2 rudder, throttle and choke. The choke is recommended by the designer and makes perfect sense. It provides a kill switch from the radio, a safety factor I like. All servos are Futaba and have a quarter scale rating or better, except throttle and choke. They said running a 3,000 mAh 4.8V battery, the receiver may actually get hot enough to melt the solder. Has anyone out there ever used a dual receiver setup? How did you select what channel for what receiver? I would imagine it is determined by trying to split the servos by channel equally, 4 large on one, 4 large on the other and splitting the two lesser servos, one per receiver. The cost of a second receiver is a relatively low cost insurance policy with what this plane will cost, RTF. Has anyone out there used dual receivers?

Secondly, I bought a JR 3,000 mAh 4.8V battery. It has three wires coming from it. My Futaba charger only has two wires. Are they compatible? What is the charging time for this battery? I really should have asked this at the shop I bought it from.

Jim
Old 07-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Receivers??

On large planes, it's common to use a dual setup, to cut the load on a battery, and provide a backup if one system fails.
You will be drawing a large amount of current from the battery.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Roadkingofskies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Receivers??

Paul, Thank you for your fast and knowledgeable reply. I would like to clarify setup so there is no mistake made on my part. The way you suggest one receiver acts as a backup for the other, each channel would have to be connected with a "Y" to both receivers. The output of the "Y" would then go to the extensions leading to the servos. Is my assumption on setup correct?

Thank you, Jim
Old 07-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Roadkingofskies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Receivers??

Paul, As long as weare on he subject, would you venture a guesstimate as to how long the flight time is on a 300 mAh 4.8 V battery?

Thanks again, Jim
Old 07-19-2003, 03:47 PM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dual Receivers??

Originally posted by Roadkingofskies
Paul, Thank you for your fast and knowledgeable reply. I would like to clarify setup so there is no mistake made on my part. The way you suggest one receiver acts as a backup for the other, each channel would have to be connected with a "Y" to both receivers. The output of the "Y" would then go to the extensions leading to the servos. Is my assumption on setup correct?

Thank you, Jim
No.
Use two completely seperate systems.
Minimum of two servos per control, each on its own system.
Four aileron servos are normal on large planes. Each system drives one servo on each aileron.
I know of one large plane which crashed due to the battery wiring being too light for the servo load. That's another thing to check.
As for useful life (2nd question).. it depends on the load. I've flown for over an hour non-stop on a 270 mah battery driving two micro servos.
Larger/more servos will drain a battery quicker.
Excess capacity isn't a handicap, although RcHLG fliers routinely use only 3 cell batteries.. but they're using low drain servos also.