Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

**Read Poll Question First (In First Post)** then make your selection! SILENT POLL

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ultracote
18.60%
Monokote
55.81%
Chinacote
25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

**Read Poll Question First (In First Post)** then make your selection! SILENT POLL

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Read Poll Question First (In First Post)** then make your selection! SILENT POLL

My question to you is this: What type of covering do you believe is being shown in these pictures?

***PLEASE!!! DO NOT MAKE ANY FURTHER COMMENTS UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO PUT DOWN WHICH ONE YOU VOTED FOR (totally optional).*** (please dont turn this into an argument/competition, this is just a poll question, Thank You!)

I appologize for the mix up in the last poll I created, I would like an accurate data count so I recreated a new poll. This is the same poll and the same rules as before still apply, THank You.

Rules:
***PLEASE!!! DO NOT MAKE ANY FURTHER COMMENTS UNLESS YOU JUST WANT TO PUT DOWN WHICH ONE YOU VOTED FOR (totally optional).***

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93724.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1437127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57347.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1437128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86306.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1437129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91725.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1437130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41959.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1437131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du19929.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1437132  
Old 05-16-2010, 06:59 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: **Read Poll Question First (In First Post)** then make your selection! SILENT POLL

you can "bump" this thread to keep it circulating if you wish to do so.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:03 PM
huck1199

Default RE: **Read Poll Question First (In First Post)** then make your selection! SILENT POLL

What is your point?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
davidgeorge212

In Response to Gray Beards post on my first attempt at this poll:

"You do know there is a knob on your iron that will turn down the heat. "

I want to try and make this as fair as possible so I went out and took another sample right off the roll. (The backing is removed from this sample so it will not give away which covering it is.) These samples I just took never saw the warmth of either a heating iron nor a heat gun, they are straight off the roll.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39636.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1437862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94316.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1437863  
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM
carrellh

Since you say you have a roll of this material, we know it is not "Chinacote."

What is the purpose of the poll? Why not just post the point you are trying to make?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
mikegordon10

Well since you say you removed the backing before the second set of pictures to not give away which covering it is, then you yourself know what covering it is. So what's yer point?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM
davidgeorge212

I didnt want to post anything because I dont want to argue. I want to see if everyone on RCU can distinguish which kind of covering this could be. Mainly this is just a poll based on my curiosity for my own satisfaction. Sorry if this is offending anyone but if you dont want to participate, just ignore this.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I guess Monokote. My Ultracoat does not do that, but that's kind of like what happened on my two Venus planes which are/were covered in Monokote.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Star7

I assume that the film I get from Hobby King is the infamous 'chinacoat' (which works just fine) and my ultracoat has never done that, soooo......
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
BillyGoat

I participated in your poll, but you have piqued my curiosity. I'm hoping once you get enough results from the poll for your "own satisfaction" you will provide the whole story on what we're looking at.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat
I participated in your poll, but you have piqued my curiosity. I'm hoping once you get enough results from the poll for your ''own satisfaction'' you will provide the whole story on what we're looking at.
There has to be an agenda.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last week I did have something like that sort of happen, I was using both Ultra and Mono on a repaired plane. The loose nut behind the iron forgot to check the heat setting and it was way up there. That dang knob can be a brain twister sometimes. My question to myself was, what the hell was my iron doing set that high in the first place??? I think it got moved when I was pulling it out of the cabnit??[:@]
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
mikegordon10

So did the high heat effect the Moneycoat like that or the Ultracoat or both.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: carrellh

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat
I participated in your poll, but you have piqued my curiosity. I'm hoping once you get enough results from the poll for your ''own satisfaction'' you will provide the whole story on what we're looking at.
There has to be an agenda.
Some one is trying to set up an "I told you so" to prove Monokote is still a good product.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
carrellh

I use Ultracote. My brother uses Monokote (or fabric and dope). Both are good and both are bad in one way or another.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No denying that carrellh... but something has changed in Mono that makes the stuff impossible to use at times. I've got a plane that looked beautiful a year ago and the covering wrinkled and went slack, can't shrink it tight no more. I guessed monokote because I've never used chinacote. I've pulled mono off an airframe to recover it and had it separate like that.