Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Charging a nickel-metal hydride battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Charging a nickel-metal hydride battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
LokiDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging a nickel-metal hydride battery

The charger you get with these are just stupidly slow. Can I charge this with a 12 volt, car battery type charger? This is a small charger, 10" x 8" x 8".
Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Charging a nickel-metal hydride battery

No, please don't try to charge your Ni-mh battery with a 12 volt charger. You are going to risk overcharging the battery which can destroy the battery and possibly cause a fire. If you want to speed up the charging of the battery get a charger that is designed to properly charge this batteries and where you can choose the charging level of the battery. There are many different brands out there, but here are a couple that will fit the bill:

Great Planes Triton 2

Bantan BC6-DC

Ken
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
LokiDog

Okay, can I hook my Triton Jr. up to the car battery charger?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If you have the Triton JR. then you already have all you need to charge Ni-mh's. Don't hook it up to the 12 volt battery charger, but rather hook it directly to a 12 volt power supply or to a 12 volt battery. Most 12 volt battery chargers may not supply enough current for the Triton to properly charge.

Ken
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
LokiDog

I was hoping to not have to buy another 12 volt battery as I don't want to deplete my starter battery. I guess I will have to.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

You should be able to charge from your starter battery with no issues at all. I use a lawn mower 12 volt battery for my flight box and I run multiple chargers off of it with no problems at all as well as my starter at the field. I usually recharge the 12 volt battery every month or so.

Ken

Old 05-25-2010, 02:17 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ifound a 12V car battery on a pallet of junk batteries that wouldn't supply enough current to start a car but it is still good enough for smaller applications. I keep it around just for running my RC chargers. I throw it on a 12V charger now and then of course. It has a handle on it too so it's easy to toss in the back of the truck and take to the field if I think I'll need to charge something out there.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LokiDog

I was hoping to not have to buy another 12 volt battery as I don't want to deplete my starter battery. I guess I will have to.
Dude, I use the same charger all the time at the field. Hook er up to the car battery and it shouldn't give you any problems. If it becomes a concern to you, crank up the car every now and again to be sure there is juice there. If it drags at all, let the car run a little to charge it back up. You'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

ORIGINAL: LokiDog

Dude, I use the same charger all the time at the field. Hook er up to the car battery and it shouldn't give you any problems. If it becomes a concern to you, crank up the car every now and again to be sure there is juice there. If it drags at all, let the car run a little to charge it back up. You'll be fine.
I bought one {several} of those plugs that go into a lighter socket in a car and spliced it into my field charger. It can be used by opening the hood of the car and using that battery or just plug into any lighter or computer socket in a van or car. How easy is that??