Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sky Raider Mach I Aileron Trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sky Raider Mach I Aileron Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:41 PM
DJKeeg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Raider Mach I Aileron Trouble

Hello, I am new to the world of RC aircraft. As I was assembleing my Sky Raider mach I, I encountered a problem. On step four of the instructions, there is a small diagram depicting the assembley for the Servo to Aileron connection. The pushrod used in this had a 90 degree bend at the connection to the servo holding it on, the pushrod that came with it was straight, and several inches too long. I attempted to bend the pushrod, only to find it snap. I am here to ask what my problem is. I am not sure if I was supplied the wrong pushrods, or it may be my failed bend. If anyone who reads this feels it was the bend, then advice to properly bend it would be appreciated. I also noticed when I cut the rod to size, it would no longer fit in the required holes because the pressure of the cut turned the ends into ovals instead of a circle. I may be able to post pictures if needed. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sky Raider Mach I Aileron Trouble

Having to put a 90 degree bend in a pushrod is pretty common. It sounds like yours just snapped when bending for whatever reason. Could have been brittle wire or it could have been something in the way you bent it, who knows.

It isn't a big deal though. I'd just head down to the local hobby shop and get some threaded 2-56 pushrods to make new ones for the ailerons. You'll probably have to get some 2-56 plastic clevis too since the ones that came with the airplane are likely metric and probably a little too big or a little too smallfor the 2-56 threaded wire. Make the 90 degree bend like they show the bend it another 90 degrees to make a z-bend. I'll try to attach a picture below.

It is normal to slightly flatten and put a bur on a wire when you cut it. Just smooth it out with a small file.

You may also have to drill out the servo arm for the #2 wire. A 5/64 drill bit usually does the trick.

You'll love the Mach-1. I helped a new club member get his set up and maidened it yesterday. Great flying airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52942.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1445356  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:09 PM
DJKeeg

Thanks a ton ! I figured I probobly overbent it. The file tip should help to.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it this is what you're talking about. I've had them snap too. The pushrods that come with World Model planes is pretty strong and dont bend easy. I just buy new pushrods at my local hobby shop. You do have to drill out the hole on the servo arm. I take a #11 razor blade and use that like a drill bit. You dont want to make it to big or you'll have slop in you connection.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45578.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1445400  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 PM
DJKeeg

Yeah, I was fighting to bend it. When it did finally bend it bended very quickly, and the bend back broke it.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Not to hijack your thread, but a word about the Sky Raider. Our club uses them for pylon racers and we find they are excellent flying airplanes. But, they all seem to build tail heavy. We find that putting the battery pack under (or beside) the fuel tank will get the C.G. pretty close. Otherwise, be prepared to add some nose weight. You'll love the plane!

Paul
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM
KW_Counter

Paul,
Are you referring to the Mach I, high wing trainer, or Mach II, low wing trainer?
Mach IIs are tail heavy. I use a heavy prop nut to compensate along with
moving the battery.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...gley&search=Go
Bottom of the page.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 PM
pmw

KW,

You are correct, my mistake. I was referring to the low wing. Great airplane, but naturally tail heavy. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DJKeeg

Thanks a ton ! I figured I probobly overbent it. The file tip should help to. [img][/img]
It may not be your fault. Often the control rods included with some kits/arfs are to brittle. They are not of the proper temper to allow a good bend. Even if they do bend, they may break later and you lose control of the plane. Best to replace with a good grade 2-56 or 4-40 rod from your LHS, Tower, etc.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
DJKeeg

Thanks again for the help everyone. Good to know it wasn't necessarilly all my fault. I went ahead and ordered some 2-56 threaded pushrods along with $70 of random things I needed.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM
haisanjafri

We just got this model. which engine you are using? we are thinking to install OS 35AX in it instead of 46LA (doesnt idle very good) Or 46AX (seems over powered for this model). please suggest?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 AM
K-Bob

35AX if you want ot cruise around. 46AX if you want to really have fun.