Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote Paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Rcaerosport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote Paint

I noticed that the new range of H9 UltraPaint does not come with a white primer. So to get the colours to match, will it work better with a white base, or grey one?

Thanks
Derek
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default H9 Ultracote paint

I am in the process of trying to use H9 Ultracote paint for the cowl and dome of the TF Bonanza.

This has got to be the worst paint on the market. It really doesn't match the Ultracote covering (White) with the paint being more on the cream side, and after 4 days the paint still gets soft when alcohol is put on it.

I used the H9 paint because I wanted to match the covering.... here it doesn't match and doesn't seem to dry either.

JUNK!!!

Can you tell I'm frustrated!!

Bill
Old 08-08-2003, 01:31 AM
Rcaerosport

Default Ultracote Paint

Does anyone else have good things to say abt the new paint? I just tried a little, and it never seems to be hard enough, and with a 7 day wait between masking, it is way too long. 4 colours and it will take one month to paint!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:46 AM
Den B

Default Don't

Colors don't match and after two and a half weeks it's NOT FUEL PROOF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or even resistant to 15% wildcat when I tested after I noticed it came off with Windex GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
SO my next move was to use their Clear , well guess what after a week it is still soft double GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Don't they test this stuff BEFORE they sell it as Fuel resistant?

Den
Old 08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Steve Campbell2

Default Ultracote Paint

Hmmm... Guess I better try the "windex test" when I get home today. I applied it to a canopy with no issues, but it hasn't been handled or exposed to fuel yet.

This is not a good sign...

Steve
Old 08-08-2003, 01:54 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultracote Paint

Save yourself a lot of trouble. Take a piece of covering on a piece of balsa to your local auto paint store, have them mix up a matching color and put it in a rattle can. I have never missed a color that way. I have never had one match with a covering companies paint. I won't touch them again.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:33 PM
3d freak

Default Ultracote Paint

this paint sucks assss i have put some on my ultimate 2 months ago and the **** is still wet god i am sooooo mad
Old 08-08-2003, 09:43 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultracote Paint

Well, the black I applied on the canopy is nice and dry. I put a dab of window cleaner on it; no problem. Of course, this brand of windex doesn't have any ammonia. I'll wait a couple of days more and try a dab of raw 15% fuel.

And regarding the wire gear? I chickened out and used some left-over LusterKote white primer, to be followed by some left-over LusterKote paint. No sense in tempting Fate.

The UltraPaint definitely has a strong "enamel" smell to it, where the LusterKote does not. Regular enamel is not fuel proof, so this could be the problem. Guess I'll find out when I try the canopy...

Flyboy, how much per can does your shop charge to match, mix, and make up a spray can? That's an intriguing service I didn't know anybody provided on a one-off basis. You're talking lacquer, I presume?

Steve
Old 08-12-2003, 02:30 AM
ronk1
My Feedback: (25)

Default Ultracote Paint

I used ultraPaint on my GP 60 Extra. After thinking some day it will dry I went to it doesn't dry(or match). Strip it off and use auto paint.