Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Switching to 2.4 questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Switching to 2.4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to 2.4 questions

Hello,

I'm switching to 2.4, and 4.8 to 6v battery on my recievers. Do I have to get a regulator for the 6v, or can I just plug it in like my standar 4.8 v on my FMsystem?

Thanks

BTW- Whats the advantage of a 6v? And whats the advantage of having more mAh?

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Switching to 2.4 questions

6v means the servos will be both faster and produce more torque (at a slight penalty in extra power consumption)

It also means if a cell fails the pack will still be above safe operating voltage for the reciever and if there's a heavy load and the voltage gets pulled down it will still be above what it takes to force a reset.

Yes, in almost all cases you can plug it straight in w/o a regulator, however it would be good to check the published specs on your servos to see if they have a 6v rating, a few don't.

Higher Mah means longer run times on the battery. Get 4 flights out a a 1200 mah battery you will get 5 or 6 out of a 2000mah battery etc.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
LargeScale88

Thanks. I'm always only getting like 3 flights on my small 4.8v batteries.

Can I use the same JRcharger I've been using with my 4.8v battery?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are getting 6 volt batteries you will need to get a charger for them. The standard radio chargers will not give it a full charge. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 PM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know why the new 4 channel 2.4 GHz transmitters do not come with nicads like their 72 MHz counterparts?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
heavy metal thunder

When making the jump to 6V it's time to buy a decent charger that can charge and discharge your 6V packs. Don't depend upon the old charger that came with radio. Power is everything in this business.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ramboy

Do you know why the new 4 channel 2.4 GHz transmitters do not come with nicads like their 72 MHz counterparts?
Which 4ch 2.4GHz TXs are you referring to?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
All new radios use NiMH batteries instead of the old NiCad. This is beacause NiMH cells are more enviromental safe (Cadmium is a posion) and NiMH cells can contain more power in the same fysical space.
That's why you can find 2900mAh NiMH, AA, cells (R6) in all shops today instead of the old 1100 mAh NiCad:s.

The wall charger (50, 100 or 150mAh) you got with your radio will work just fine with all NiMH cells but be prepeard to charge a little longer if you have a 50mah charger and a 2000mAh battery!

Do not under any circumstances buy a fast charger and rely entiarly on it to charge your NiMH cells!!!! The reason for this is, NiMh cells are notorious "false peakers" And could not be trusted on to be fully charged using a fast charger!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

ORIGINAL: ramboy

Which 4ch 2.4GHz TXs are you referring to?

I am referring to the new Futaba 4 channel 2.4 GHz TX. No batteries are included.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I believe the main reason would be for cost reduction. That's 8 NiCd/NiMH cells (4 TX and 4 RX batts) they don't have to pay to pack in the box and ship, plus they probably eliminated the charger as well (I assume).

I have DX6i and DX5e TXs that only take four AA cells, and I just run them on alkalines. I buy them in bulk, so four AAs cost me $1. They have a long shelf life, and last me a couple months during flying season. No more worrying about charging up my TX before I head out to the field. I just keep a spare four pack in my TX box in case it runs low at the field.

BTW, take note that the Futaba 4ch (the 4YF model) is FHSS, not FAAST like the higher-end Futaba radios, so there is not much of an upgrade path for you with that equipment. Contrast that with the Spektrum DX5e and Airtronics SD-5G in a similar price range, which allow you to upgrade to higher-end compatible equipment.