Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lipo for a flight battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lipo for a flight battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
onebadhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo for a flight battery

I have a question you guys might be able to help me with. I have a 60 Ultrastick W/ a Evolution 100 2 stroke in it. Flys great.
I would like to use a 3S 11.1V 2200mah 20C Lipo battery for the flight (Receiver) pack. This battery is intended to run the brushless outrunner and BEC on a much smaller plane.
Batteries intended to run a flight pack are not capable of putting out as much current as this pack is.
So what... That should'nt matter.
I am running 7 standard servos W/ flaps in the plane.
The Turnigy Voltage regulator is 6.0V - 12.6V in ( 2S or 3S ) and 5.0V or 6.0V out switchable.
This should be fine...
I won't be able to monitor the lipo's condition on the out side of the regulator, but there are 3 different color LED's on the in side of the regulator to tell voltage, So I'll know aproxamitly when to charge it, or at least when to put a meter on it and check it.
The regulator says its good for 8 amps, so that should be good....
I can't think of a reason why there would be a problem with this set up,,, I just don't want to find anything out the hard way...
I really like this plane...
Teddy
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Lipo for a flight battery

I wouldn't use a Lipo for a receiver battery for one reason and that is the construction of the pack. It is not intended to be used in a vibration invironment. The construction of the cells uses very thin foil separators and the power connection is also soldered to this very thin foil. I have had the foil tear soldering a connection to it. Use Lithiom Ion or Lithiom Iron instead.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
onebadhawk

Thank you Steve,
I already have a few of these batts.. 2 are new... I'll pack it well in vibration dampining foam.
The plane these packs are intended to fly vibrates, espesially when theres a nick in the prop.
Teddy
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 AM
The Ghost

ORIGINAL: Steve Percifield

I wouldn't use a Lipo for a receiver battery for one reason and that is the construction of the pack. It is not intended to be used in a vibration invironment. The construction of the cells uses very thin foil separators and the power connection is also soldered to this very thin foil. I have had the foil tear soldering a connection to it. Use Lithiom Ion or Lithiom Iron instead.
Teddy,
Not a problem to use the LiPo's in a gasser, have been doing it for over 3 years, using the same voltage reg by the sounds of it. You should be able to get a couple of hrs contunious out of that setup. I wrap my batteries in old 7mm wetsuit material, all batteries are still as got a they were new.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been running lipos in my giant scale planes now for over 3 years, no problems at all, and lots of punch to feed all those servos.

Bob
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM
onebadhawk

Thank you for the response sensei,
I sense the lipo's your running in your giant scale planes are meant to be in an aircraft running a flight pack.
My concern is the battery i'm going to run my flight radio with was not intended to do that.

I'm gonna do it....

Cross your fingers....

Teddy