Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

eletric retract question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

eletric retract question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eletric retract question

I am useng some small eletric retracts on my airfield 1400mm P40 . They work flawlessly when benched tested in the wings and I use a servos cycler to simply get them moveing .
I connect a y harness to both servos and one lead into the cycler and of course I add a small battery for power (all is good ) .

Ok so I go to put the same exact set up in the 2.4 that comes with the plane , this time power the system with my lipo batter that is powering the entire plane .
WHen I hit the retract switch on the transformer I can only get one retract to work ?
I even retested it again on the servoe cycler and its works fine , but not when connected with the same y harness and into the 2.4 receiver .
Tried all differant types of y harneese and also switched connections on the receiver but no go ?

The retracts are from PW RC , they are really nice and i know its not them , its must be something with the hook up or perhaps voltage needed to power them.
I did email the company and they used the set up as me ?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:50 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: eletric retract question

Let's look at what is different from the bench test....receiver and power source, correct?
Doubt it's the receiver, since one side works ok...... What is the voltage of the battery?
What happens if you un plug, from the Y, the retract that works? Does the other retract work then......Is there an additional servo extension that can be bad on one side?
Be careful with retract servos....not all of them like higher voltages...don't ask me how I know......Also retract servos are different in movement......180 degress and either up or down.....kinda like on or off no in between
Keep us informed on what you find
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM
LDM

jet thanks for the tip , a few points
1)no servos , its a 100% eletric driven retract
2)I will only hook up one Y good suggestion to see if the one side works
3)yes , you are correct that the voltage is differant in the bench test vs the assembled in the plane test .
Bench test all power is from my regular receiver batter to both eletric sevos , in the plane test the power from the flight pack lipo powers all the servos =6 plus the two eletric retracts
Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using the motor lipo with a BECfrom the ESC, for power, you may be overloading your BEC. Most are only good for 2-3 amps. You may need a seperate flight pack, for the retracts, or a UBEC.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what it sounds like to me too. I would definitely run a separate battery. The last thing you want is for all the other controls to stop working while the retracts are moving.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM
LDM

Ok , thanks I will try that