Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Clear Coat Fuel Proof

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Clear Coat Fuel Proof

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:46 PM
mike37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat Fuel Proof

I painted my plane with XO Rust Oil Base Enamel (Why? . . . bacause it is what I had available). I'm uncertain if this paint is Fuel resistant. Also, I had planed to use a clear coat as the final coat anyway. My problem is I don't know what clear coat to use. Will clear acrylic or clear polyurethane work . . . that is be fuel proof? This is the first time I have painted a model plane, usually I use Monocoat, etc., so I am really ignorant regarding paint.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear polyurethane will work well. I have used the stuff from Min Wax with great results. It's also available in gloss and satin finishes so that you can choose your "shine" level...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:54 PM
mike37

Default Polyurathane Clear

Thanks for the reply. I have several quarts of Min Wax Polyurethane clear (Gloss & Semi Gloss); also I have the same in spray cans. But, I have read that the Polyurathane will turn yellow with time. Have you found that to be the case?

Just a note: I tested the X0 Rust oil base enamel for its fuel proof qualities by putting some glow fuel on top of a test surface (a copper sheet) I painted white. After several days, no wrinkles in the paint. However, after wiping the fuel off, there was a faint pink stain on the white paint. So, I assume that I should use a clear top coat.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

I think most automotive paints are fuel proof to a point. They after all are made for cars, which run on gas.

I had the same question when I painted my trainer and after a test on a section I found the paint alone was ok.
Besides, it is a trainer, and not a $400 bird that will last a long time.

Worst case scenerio if you want fuel proofing clear, there is that lusterkoat from Tower that is a clear fuelproofer.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Plane_Nutz

Default Auto finish fuelproof?

Don't know if auto finishes are fuelproof but I just accidentally spilled some 15% on the tailgate of my pickup and it really dulled the finish. I washed it off almost immediately but it still looks flat. Should I try and use some polish on it?
Old 07-28-2003, 07:20 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Auto finish fuelproof?

Originally posted by Plane_Nutz
Don't know if auto finishes are fuelproof but I just accidentally spilled some 15% on the tailgate of my pickup and it really dulled the finish. I washed it off almost immediately but it still looks flat. Should I try and use some polish on it?
Here is another good reason to use rhino liner in the bed of your pickup!

It might have just striped the wax off the surface!

Regards
Mark
Old 07-28-2003, 08:31 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Polyurathane Clear

Originally posted by Mike37
But, I have read that the Polyurathane will turn yellow with time. Have you found that to be the case?
Not really, but the things I coated were yellow so how would I know?...

I have seen the Pacta clear Polyurathane that I get from my LHS turn a little yellow. It's only noticeable on white...
Old 08-02-2003, 07:00 PM
mike37

Unfortunately, the plane I am painting is white with black & read trim. I purchased some clear (can't recall the name of the paint . . . it is in my shop) and tried a bit on a test sheet of the white I'm using on my plane. Unfortunately, it looked slightly yellow immediately. It was fuel proof but I don't want to paint this over my white plane. Still looking for something that will work.

Has anyone used Min Wax Polyurathane clear over white? I read somewhere (in an RC mag) that Autozone has some clear spraycan paint that works (doesn't yellow and is fuel proof). Anyone familiar with this paint? Still searching for a solution! I need a solid answer soon as I just sprayed on the last coat and am sanding it smooth in preparation for the trim colors and then the clear final fuel proof coat. Help!