Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Making A Lithium Cell Battery Pack.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Making A Lithium Cell Battery Pack.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:52 PM
troytday
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making A Lithium Cell Battery Pack.

Ok I have some Tadiran lithium battery cells. The model number is TL-5101. These batteries are size 1/2aa and have two wire leads attached. There is one attached to the negative side of the battery, and one on the possitive. The cells are 3.6 V (volts) at 950 mA. (milliamperes). I want to build a battery pack for park fliers with these cells. I don't know much about lithium batteries in the can type form. I know these cells are dangerous and can catch fire or explode like various battery types. I need help on building a pack in series or parallel form. I need to know what ends to solder to each other, how many volts and milliamperes a two, three, cell pack would be. I need someone with knowledge about these batteries to help build a pack. Please post or PM me about this.
Thank You
Troy T. Day
Old 07-23-2003, 07:29 PM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Making A Lithium Cell Battery Pack.

I think it's like doing a standard pack. Solder the positive on one cel to negative on the other and so on. When it comes to charging you need to have these packs in seperate because you can't charge them in parallel mode. Take the positive wire on one and solder to the negative side on the other and repeat this on as many as you like. If you have 2 batteries you got 7.4 and three you got 11.1V and for the amperes you have 950mAh when in series but you multiplies it when in parallel. So if you make one pack with two batteries in series you got 7.4V and 950mAh and if you make another pack and take the positive to the positive and negative to negativ you still got 7.4V but 1900mAh.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:24 AM
edyr

Default RE: Making A Lithium Cell Battery Pack.

where you buy these cell tadiran
Old 03-04-2004, 11:17 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

jacs,
With parallel wiring don't you double the capacity (1900 mAH), but voltage remains the same at 3.6 Volts?

And by the way, in series it's actually 7.2, not 7.4 volts.
Dennis-
Old 03-05-2004, 01:44 AM
jacs

Okay that I typed 7.4V when in series with two but my lithium is on 3.7V from start but fully charged they are over 4V each. And yes on what I read in my first post you see that in serie the voltage goes up but current is the same. Make 2 packs with 2 cells (2S2P) and solder positive to positive and negative to negative and you get 7.2V and a current with 1900mAh.

I'm not the best on english but I manage to read in my first post that if you take 2 packs in series you get the double voltage (was current) or if you that 2 cells in parallell you get double current.

It's only typos of course you take your readings from your cells and use them instead.

2S1P= 2x voltage and 1x current
2S2P= 2x voltage and 2x current.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:02 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Best not to mess with making your own lithium packs. They're tolerances are so tight...
Old 03-06-2004, 09:56 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do not treat lipos as your everyday nicad or nimh pack. These batteries are a totally different story.

You may want to read the "Using lipos safely" thread in the "batteries and chargers" forum, also check out the batteries forum on rcgroups (ezones' discussion group) before you start making your own packs. That way, if you burn down your house, you at least know why...

Be careful