Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sportster 60 power

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sportster 60 power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster 60 power

Now that I have the servo size ironed out, what do you all think about me putting my OS61FX in for power?
Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Sportster 60 power

The SS is a nice little stunt plane and engine size depends on how you plan on flying it. The .61 for me is a bit under powered and the 75 may be a better choice. I had the OS .91fs in one and it was OK but a bit more power would have been better. These are old designed kits and the .60s were the norm back in the day, we have much better choices these days.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion would be that since you already have the .61FX you might as well use it. Buddy of mine built a .60 size Sportster back in the late 1980's and used a Webra Speed .61 and that was a real nice flying airplane.

Try and keep it as light as possable...the .61FX will be a good combo...not spectacular, but nice.

If you're in the mood to buy another engine, a .75 or even a .91 would make it closer to "spectacular"

The .61 size engines don't seem to get used much anymore...since you can get .75's and even .91's in the same size case (and wt. )
I have a .61FX, and it's a decent engine IMO. Mine will turn an APC 13x6 at 11,500 r.p.m. on 15% nitro Omega and a Slim Line Pitts style muffler.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Gray Beard

I didn't notice you already had the .61, I too would install it and give it a try and see if you were happy with it. I just installed the .61 in a stock built 4*60 and was very disappointed in how it flew the plane. It's OK but with a bit more power the plane could do things a lot better. I always try what I have on hand before I buy anything new so Prop is correct, see how you like it first, the plane was designed for that size engine back in the day and will fly it.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Super Sportster 60 with an OS 61 SF in it and it has been flying it fine for last 20 years.

Bruce
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Back in the day a .60 was perfect for this plane. We are all spoiled on horse power these days. If the .75 was the same weight I would use it. I broke a .90 in on mine way back when. It flew better with the 60.

David
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
jay2000dakota

I would say if you got it, try it. It's always better to have too much power then not enough in my opinion. I would run a Saito 115 or 125a.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: jay2000dakota

I would say if you got it, try it. It's always better to have too much power then not enough in my opinion. I would run a Saito 115 or 125a.
My kinda people, too much power is just about right!!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM
CB36

The 15cc gas engines are interesting, but I'm wondering if the weight, (29 oz), would be an issue? My OS 61 weighs 23.6 oz. They say the 15cc is for "60 size" planes. Hmmmm.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Textanker

That much weight that far forward is going to demand that you move the battery way back, at least. The great things about the SS is that it does great aerobatics, and lands like a trainer. If you add a lot of weight, it loses a lot benefit of the design of the plane. I think that you will be very happy with what you have. Try and save as much weight as you can. Even a few ounces in the right places can make a big difference.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:52 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Using a 61 in a sixty sized airplane may not be politically correct but its a Darn good plan especially if you needed to ask on a forum what size engine to use
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
CB36

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Using a 61 in a sixty sized airplane may not be politically correct but its a Darn good plan especially if you needed to ask on a forum what size engine to use

The reason I asked on a forum was I was disappointed with that engine's performance in a Bruce Tharpe Venture 60, (sixty size). I changed it out to a Tower 75 and there was much improvement. Sooo, I have this OS sitting around and I thought I'd see what others think. OK?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure thats OK But I have done the maidens on a number of Super Sportsters with various sixty ones and they all flew so darn nice.

I beleve often in these forums folks also get carried away in a big snowballing push for bigger and bigger when it comes to engine size recomendations that may even reach ridiculous proportions at times.

As far as the small gasser you mentioned I don,t know anything about it. I have watched some fellows struggle with 18cc Ryobi's but on Cubs at around eighty inchs and they were pitiful performers.

You should definately do a thread if you go that new small gasser route[8D]

John
Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: CB36

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The reason I asked on a forum was I was disappointed with that engine's performance in a Bruce Tharpe Venture 60, (sixty size). I changed it out to a Tower 75 and there was much improvement. Sooo, I have this OS sitting around and I thought I'd see what others think. OK?
I on the other hand am a power nut but I try never to install and engine that will tear up the air frame. Knowing what you can and can't {shouldn't} use requires a few years of building and flying. My 60 size MW Hots has a YS 1.10 stuffed into it. People see that and I hear all kinds of comments. This air frame can handle the added {over kill} power. If you werent happy with the performance you got in your BTE with a .60 then that should give you an idea how it will perform in the SS. When this plane was designed the .61 was the engine limit in class-C pattern and was the number one size engine in the mid size sport planes. Today we have better engine choices but the .60 is still a good choice for some planes and pilots. I no longer have any of the .60s at all. I prefer the four strokes and use the .91 in my 60 size planes. At the moment I'm building a new Bridi Dirty Birdy 60 size pattern plane and I'm using the SK .90 two stroke. This air frame can take the engine and it will fly the plane the way I want. I'm afraid your going to want a bigger engine in the SS if you didn't care for the way it flew your last plane. It really isn't a deep thinker.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
flyhi
My Feedback: (28)

got a ss 60 at a swap meet. it has no motor mount and I'm danged if I can get one in my stock to fit. i was planning on an older st 61 for power. anybody know offhand what motor mount I should buy at my LHS? can't believe anybody got a four stroker in it, the nose is just too narrow. any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
flygilmore

Mine will be getting a Saito 1.00 with a 13x10 to begin with.....should move out!