Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Li-ion Batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Li-ion Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 AM
Smitty 1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-ion Batteries

i have a question. i have a 2 cell 2600 MaLi-ion pack on my flight system. If I fly a couple of times, pack up aand go home my batteries still have plenty of charge left in them. Do I need to discharge them and recharge or do I need ro just top the off ? I have a Triton 2 charger.-Smitty

Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Li-ion Batteries

Im sure their are others that disagree with this, but i usually top mine off before i put them away. I have the same batteries in some of my models now for three years. I fly one or two flights at the field and top them off every time. Been doing this this way for several years now with out any problems. Im running the 2600s also and they take roughly 5-600 MA each charge to top them off after a flight or two. ( usually 2 IMAC sequences ). I have trashed one or two packs during this time period, only because i noticed a pack started takeing much more MAs to charge that its co-parts in the same plane. Im definately not a battery expert, but chargeing them before putting them away doesnt appear to have done any damage to my batteries over the past three years....just my experience....Gene
Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Smitty 1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gene, thanks for the reply. I amjust getting back into the hobby after a 13 layoff and have no experience with the new type of batteries. Thanks again.Smitty
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Li-Ion batteries are ok to top up when ever you like and then use after storage. They have no memory. They are also safe compared to LiPo's when storing. At 3.6V nominal per cell they're ok for use on a flight control system if a voltage regulator is used.

Li-Ion batteries eventually die of old age. Basicaly after a certain number of charges the salt that provides the  ion start to break down and they can no longer hold capacity. Eventually you can't charge them.

I have a Li-ion battery of 7.2V but 12,000mAhr capacity used for ann HID bike light. Its 8 years old and has now lost about 1500mAhr in capacity.

Just monitor their capacity to understand when they have turned the corner into old age.

Note, these require a dedicated charge program dissimilar to LiPO.