Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to hide a small tear in Mono?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is there a way to hide a small tear in Mono?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to hide a small tear in Mono?

I have a plane that has a slight tear in the Mono near the wing tip. Is there a way to mend it without a patch? I want to hide it much as possible so people don't see it when looking at my plane at a show etc.

I'm buying the plane used today, It looks like the seller put a small piece of scotch tape on it. [X(] I don't want to re-cover the wing, it is a Discontinued WWI Warbird. Is there ways to make a realistic looking scale patch if I can't hide it?

Your thoughts guys,

Pete
Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Is there a way to hide a small tear in Mono?

You won't be able to fix it so well that someone can't look and tell it's there. That said, a dab of CA glue will close it and stick it back down so it doesn't get worse.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it is a warbird, find one of the very small fake "bullet hole" stick-on patches[>:] Seriously, you might PM "minnflyer" and ask him. He seems to have a lot tricks for just such situations.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Steve Steinbring

To disguise repair areas I often use decals, stickers, or adding additional decorative colors to hide covering issues. It all depends on where the repair area is located. Depending upon the situation here are times when the same color patch remains the only solution, not always the most invisible repair, however if accomplished neatly not too noticeable.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:18 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Om scale airplanes I've often used a similar colored but not quite matching covering for a patch. I then place another identical patch on the opposite side of the plane or something to make it resemble a scale detail. Sometimes the look is really nice and convincing but sometimes you can still tell.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 AM
Oberst
Banned

Thanks guy's I think I'm going to re-cover it, the plane is about 10 years old and it's my favorite plane I have so far.

Pete