Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need help with dual aileron set up

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need help with dual aileron set up

I am building a sport/pattern type plane of my own design and for the first time I plan to use a dual aileron set up. My questions would be 1) what would be the optimum placement of the servos in relation to the wing LE and TE and wing root and tip, 2)I am using Futaba 3151 servos, R617 FS receiver and 7C 2.4 GHz transmitter and I need to know the best way to connect the servos to the receiver(ie- wire harness extension or Y harness, which channel or channels to connect to, and whether or not to use standard wire harnesses or HD wire harnesses. That should do it for now. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM
exnordel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Need help with dual aileron set up

I would use a channel for each aileron servo as that gives you maximum flexibility as far as programming. Depending on the length involved, a HD wiring harness is always preferred. If you are using strip ailerons then you need to locate the servo as close to the middle of the aileron as possible and contain it totally within the wing. The control linkage needs to be a short as possible.

Vince
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I disagree with some of what exnordel said:

Yes, HD extensions are preferable, but standard extensions will do fine.

You do NOT want the servo to be centered on the aileron, better to be about 1/3 out from the inboard side

Keep the servo as close to the TE as possible, while still having enough room to mount the servo flush inside the wing. Better to leave some breathing space for the servo than to try to get it as close to the TE as possible.

And finally, I would use a "Y" cord. I just like to keep things simple
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Using a 'Y' cord/harness with a computer radio ..... when you have extra channels available ..... is so 1990's (or even 1980's). Put them on seperate channels and mix them ! You can then use the sub-trim feature (for each aileron) and it is easy to set up some aileron differential. Y harnesses are also a potential failure point.

Bob