Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nylon Clevises

Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
tri-squire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon Clevises

How much heat can a nylon control rod clevis tolerate ? I have an OS.40 FP, which gets pretty hot, and the throttle clevis is very close to the cylinder casting, almost touching it. Will it possibly melt the nylon clevis ?

Old 07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nylon Clevises

Welcome to teh RCU forums, tri-squire!

Here you have a link to physiscal properties of nylon:

http://machinedesign.com/BDE/materia...demat2_29.html

Your engine should not rise the temperature beyond 320~350 next to the glow plug only.
The rest of the cylinder and body should reach lower than that temperature in normal operation.

I believe there is no problem with your set up.

However, verify that there is no intermitent metal-metal contact (between pushrod and engine body), which creates radio interference.

Regards!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur, no issues as long as there is only intermittent contact. I use a nylon clevis on my throttle linkage and have never melted the clevis.

good practice to replace that clevis once a year because heat can embrittle the clevis pin which can then snap off under vibration. Just check it every now and again and replace every season, they're cheap enough
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been nervous about the nylon clevis too, especially close to mufflers. I have never had an issue though so I have come to the conclusions that they are just fine for the application.

As TimBle mentioned, periodic inspection and maintenance is always a good idea.