Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Exponential setting on TX?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Exponential setting on TX?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 AM
topwinguk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exponential setting on TX?

I have just purchased a Spectrum DX6i radio and am just installing it in a model. The manual is extremely detailed and explains settings very simply. However when setting up the exponential function I find that the instructions state that a positive setting gives a less sensitive movement around neutral. This is opposite to the instructions for setting up exponential on my Futaba Tx's, i.e. negative values provide less sensitivity around neutral. Anybody got an explanation? Seems a contradiction in protocols!

Tony

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Exponential setting on TX?

ORIGINAL: topwinguk

I have just purchased a Spectrum DX6i radio and am just installing it in a model. The manual is extremely detailed and explains settings very simply. However when setting up the exponential function I find that the instructions state that a positive setting gives a less sensitive movement around neutral. This is opposite to the instructions for setting up exponential on my Futaba Tx's, i.e. negative values provide less sensitivity around neutral. Anybody got an explanation? Seems a contradiction in protocols!

Tony

Explanation? Yeah, major manufacturers don't want to do things the same way their competition does it.

You set exponential with positive values on JR/Spectrums and you set it to negative numbers on Futaba. Makes no sense, but that's how Futaba wants it and how JR wants it.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started in the hobby with Futaba then switched to Spektrum. When I switched back to Futaba, I programmed positive expo into a couple planes without thinking. Boy were those fun first flights; talk about sensitive controls. Then I remembered that the two manufacturers do it differently.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't forget they did things differently, I just couldn't remember who did what and set up a students plane Bass Akwards, the kid landed and said it was a mite touchy!!!!!!!! I can never keep it straight so I always open my Futaba book to make sure I do it right. Guess that's why they give us instructions with the radios.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The bottom line is with the four majors (JR & Spectrum are the same for this purpose) is:

Airtronics and JR use positive expo for soft center.

Hitec and Futaba use use minus expo for soft center.

This is important to remember if you happen to use a mix of the two which I do with one JR, to avoid an occassional wild ride on a maiden.

John
Old 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why Futaba gives you that little graph. ;-)
Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can think of an awful lot of Futaba models going back a lot of years with expo and no little graph. This is not a ford and chevy argument about features but a simple caution to those who fly with any mix of brands that it is vital to be fully aware of this opposing feature in each brand and that can get them into trouble very quickly.

John
Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 AM
topwinguk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. Just wish manufacturers were more consistent. At my age I don't need any more things to confuse me!!. Now what was I about to do next!!

Tony