Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spitfire: Landing Gear Spread?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spitfire: Landing Gear Spread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Jazzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire: Landing Gear Spread?

I have decided to put retracts into the wing of my .60 size Spit ARF. Doing them the conventional way is ... boring. So, I figured out a way to mount the left gear on the right side and the right on the left such that they actuate in a more scale-like fashion. I.E. they will swing from the wingtip down instead of from the fuse down.
Finally, the question: How far apart should the gear legs be while still afording ground/landing stability?
Is there a ratio to stay within given a specific wingspan?

I was going to wing-it and find out the hard way but I figured I'd better ask the modeling community. There just may be an answer out there somewhere .

BTW, they are mechanical gear.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-07-2002, 09:52 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default lg spread

Rule of thumb is 1/4 wingspan.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:58 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default spit retracts

I should have mentioned that Spits are notorious for nosing over. Maybe you knew that. I would be concerned to provide strength in the outer wing around the wells, and find a way to angle the gear forward when lowered. May not be scale, but pretty much a necessity on grass. If you have paved runway, you may be ok with scale gear placement.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:55 AM
Jazzy

Default 1/4 of wingspan... Great!

I knew there must be a formula out there somewhere!
Thanks Majortom.

I've got some warbird bio books that I'll check the scale location with. If memory serves correctly the Spit and a few others had a narrow stance making them somewhat difficult to land on rough fields.

I've picked up some tid bits and formed some of my own over the years regarding retracts and their nose-over tendancies. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Back in the Tips & Techniques forum I posted a thread about curing retract ailments. It is probably a page or two back by now.

Jeff