Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

K&B .61 Tuning and Break in... a little help plz

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

K&B .61 Tuning and Break in... a little help plz

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM
briangp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B .61 Tuning and Break in... a little help plz

Have a K&B .61 that was given to me 10 years ago, new in box. Was going to use it in a plane but decided it was too small. It got a tank of gas on a 2x4 and went back into the box for another 9 years. I broke it out again here a couple weeks ago to install it on a Seagull Edge 540 swinging a 12x6 prop. Anyways, was given a fuel pump, didn't work, so we primed it and to much surprise, it fired right off on the first flip! Seemed to run great. We ran about a half tank through at half or lower throttle, high speed needle set two and a half turns out. Well reading into this a little more tonight, I think it should have been closer to 3 turns out, but I ran it more on deck the other day, and I think it was running too lean because it would choke out. Backed off the needle more and it would still run ridiculously hot, not exactly sure what is going on.

We ran it again tonight with the intention of richening and running it for a test flight since the plane was finished. Anyways, ran it for about a minute and got it to a point that it wouldn't bog out at high throttle then shut it down to lock the high speed needle and it didn't want to start afterwards and was really hot yet again. We're not using a starter and the guy I have helping me is not really the kinda guy that uses him, every one of his motors starts on the first flip, and this motor is usually no exception, except once it runs and gets hot, then it wont start anymore... easily at least.

My question to anyone is, has there been a general method for breaking in these engines that we should know, it still seems to be running very hot and I think I've burned up my glow plug now. Using a #6 plug and 15% fuel.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:10 PM
tgeorge

Default RE: K&B .61 Tuning and Break in... a little help plz

ORIGINAL: briangp

Have a K&B .61 that was given to me 10 years ago, new in box. Was going to use it in a plane but decided it was too small. It got a tank of gas on a 2x4 and went back into the box for another 9 years. I broke it out again here a couple weeks ago to install it on a Seagull Edge 540 swinging a 12x6 prop. Anyways, was given a fuel pump, didn't work, so we primed it and to much surprise, it fired right off on the first flip! Seemed to run great. We ran about a half tank through at half or lower throttle, high speed needle set two and a half turns out. Well reading into this a little more tonight, I think it should have been closer to 3 turns out, but I ran it more on deck the other day, and I think it was running too lean because it would choke out. Backed off the needle more and it would still run ridiculously hot, not exactly sure what is going on.

We ran it again tonight with the intention of richening and running it for a test flight since the plane was finished. Anyways, ran it for about a minute and got it to a point that it wouldn't bog out at high throttle then shut it down to lock the high speed needle and it didn't want to start afterwards and was really hot yet again. We're not using a starter and the guy I have helping me is not really the kinda guy that uses him, every one of his motors starts on the first flip, and this motor is usually no exception, except once it runs and gets hot, then it wont start anymore... easily at least.

My question to anyone is, has there been a general method for breaking in these engines that we should know, it still seems to be running very hot and I think I've burned up my glow plug now. Using a #6 plug and 15% fuel.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
tgeorge

I'll try to be brief ........ BUT.. I can't be emphatic enough!! Be sure that your fuel contains at least 22% oil - preferably castor oil
Tony
Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 PM
huck1199

Is this the ringed or ABC version?

For Ringed -
We recommend that you mount your engine to a break-in stand to familiarize yourself with it and with the carburetor operation. It is strongly recommended that fuels containing more than 10 to 12% nitromethane be avoided until the engine has been operated about one hour, for the initial flights adjust the engine to a slightly “burbling” sound and a smoky exhaust. After each tank of fuel, the engine can be “leaned” until about one gallon of fuel has been consumed. For both break-in and general operation K&B 500 should be used.

For ABC -
see this page http://www.mecoa.com/kb/61/og-6150.pdf

The MECOA.COM site is full of info on K&B; they make them.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 AM
briangp

<iframe frameborder="0" src="" style="height: 150px; width: 779px; "></iframe>