Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Combining glow fuels

Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
mooregm5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Combining glow fuels

I have a few nearly empty bottles of glow fuel sitting around. Should Istay away from combining them together?They may or may not be the same nitro percentages. My fear is a stalled engine mid-flight.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 AM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Combining glow fuels

If the fuel has always been sealed tight and out of the sunlight it should be fine. Mixing equal parts of 10% and 15% will give you 12.5% nitro. and so on
Old 08-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly right. If it's clean, fresh fuel, go ahead and mix it. Be sure to readjust the carb needles before you fly.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Augie11

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The guys are basically right if the fuel is clean and fairly fresh. Even better would be mix them all together and then mix that combo with an equal volume of brand new fuel, get your needles adjusted and go fly.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
mooregm5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. I figured as such, just wanted to make sure it did not "seperate"if left to settle for a week or two, then not have the needle set properly for one of the mixes and have a dead stick. I would shake it anyways before filling and flight.

Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 AM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I have a half gallon of fuel left, then I go to the LHS to buy one more, I always use 15%, when there is less than a half of a gallon in the bottle that I use carry in my tool box, then I open the new bottle and pour more fuel in it. That way I have relatively fresh fuel always in my tool box. When using big glow engines I better make a stop at the LHS, before going to the field.
Sometimes I have to adjust the needle valves, but I think that the fuel is not the only reason, here the weather is very different from one month to other, even a click or two is an adjustment and there are more than one reason for those adjustments.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:47 AM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I have a half gallon of fuel left, then I go to the LHS to buy one more, I always use 15%, when there is less than a half of a gallon in the bottle that I use carry in my tool box, then I open the new bottle and pour more fuel in it. That way I have relatively fresh fuel always in my tool box. When using big glow engines I better make a stop at the LHS, before going to the field.
Sometimes I have to adjust the needle valves, but I think that the fuel is not the only reason, here the weather is very different from one month to other, even a click or two is an adjustment and there are more than one reason for those adjustments.