Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS Max 60 FP Not Running

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS Max 60 FP Not Running

Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Redwulf__34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS Max 60 FP Not Running

Trying different plugs? Which way would I go with that? I'm using the recommended #8 right now. In a nut shell, what would the differences be? So I know how to approach it.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Johnkpap

Changing Glow plugs to change timing [X(] How does that work ????

I have doing this model thing for 20 odd years, and I have never heard that one []

I thought the timing on a two stroke glow was set by the porting of the engine, glow plugs only change temp depending on the fuel and engine type
....Lots of NITRO Cold PLUG

....Low Nitro Hot plug

A OS #8 or a Enya #3 is the plug to use for a FP60

If there is a way to change the timing of a Engine with glow plugs I want to know I could turn a old FP 40 into a Rossi 40 Pylon.....Cool.[8D]

I think not....... LOL

Good luck with the prop change, It is worth a try

Johnkpap

Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hotter plug causes the ignition point to occur earlier
Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Redwulf__34

Well, i finally got out to the field after "thinking" i had the engine running.........I give up! [>:] This thing is never going to run reliably.

It was a beautiful night for flying. I got one complete flight with the engine running pretty well. She was on the rich side just a touch but she ran ok. The idle is beautiful. By the 2nd flight I was feeling a bit more comfortable that the engine was going to run so I flipped the bird inverted and flew a circuit. All is well. Then came back for a nice slow roll.......when she got over on her back something happened. A 50% power loss. just like that. I brought her around and landed. Tuned the needle this way and that and bang..she was right back....So back up I went.....slow roll or two no problem. Nice 4 point roll, no problem. Turned her around and came down the runway on a high speed pass ( about 5 feet off the ground ) and bang....without warning she shut right off. Now I was wide open and fortunately we have a very long runway!!!!! I got her down with no problem..............

Bottom line for me.....I give up. I was getting stubborn thinking no engine is going to get the best of me.......but this one did. Not sure what I'm going to do. I want to move up to bigger scale gas engines so I don't' want to waste $$$ buying a .60 size engine. I do have the Super Tiger and an old Red Box P51 I've not finished. Perhaps I'll get a JTec. muffler made and I can dual use it on the stick.

Anyone want a motor and some motor parts!!!!!!!?!?!?!???

Sean
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Red ,
Review post 64, I feel your pain.

Regards,
Roby
Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Redwulf__34

Yep, I know what you mean. Just seems so strange that I have two engines and they both are problems. Guess it's just not a good motor. It seems the carburator might be the problem. I wish I had a different carb that would fit it. I'd give it a shot. But I'm done. I'm moving on to other motors now!!!!

Thanks to everyone who chipped in advice and help. I really appreciate it all!

Sean
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Interesting, I just picked up a used .60fp on ebay, the sleeve plating is badly peeled and the glow plug threads are completely gone. The rest of the engine is complete and looks fine.

If you are truly done with your engine, would you consider selling it?

Mike
Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi guys
any one have a manual for the fp-60 max i would like to put it in the gp goldberg cub i am building ,do you think its a good engine for this plane and what size prop should i use, thanks rye

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYXF6&P=ML
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Redwulf__34

Hi rye,
If you back to the first page of this thread. Post #4 by johnkpap has 4 attachments. Those attachments are the manual. Prop size would probably be an 11X8 for that plane. I'm probably a bit biased here when I say it's not a good motor for anything. Never got mine running. If you have one that runs it'll be fine. So far mine still doesn't run. And I'm on my second one.

Good luck.
Sean
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hey thanks i found it, my motor is new just been sitting for years i got it from a old time flyer as a gift for helping him out thanks for the help ,rye
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
johnboyrc

My 60 fp is a sweet engine. Gave me trouble only once when I replaced the carb and didn't have the airbleed screw set right. Other club members have noted how impressed with its performance -power and transition.
I've had it on a big swamp buggy, PT60 trainer, and back on the swamp buggy. Very reliable for me for 8 years.
I did lap the piston/sleeve before I used it, more or less did a complete teardown when brand new. You would not believe all the little filings that I got out of it.