Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3d?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Swager
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3d?

I have a question. Well I see videos of planes a few feet off the ground and hovering on their tail. I believe this is called hovering with a 3D airplane. What I dont understand is why the people who do this just fly a helo? IMHO, Planes are meant to go flying around the skies not hovering and hoping around like a pogo stick.

Are helo's too expensive so these planes are made to do hovering maneuvers so the pilot thinks they are flying a helo?

Just a question. Hovering a plane on it's tail just seems very strange. Fly that sucker around!!
Old 07-26-2003, 01:20 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3d?

You're right ... Planes aren't meant to hover... That's what makes it so much fun.

Helicopters aren't meant to knife edge.... I bet its's a blast trying though!
Old 07-27-2003, 03:13 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3d?

People do 3D because just flying around is boring. It has nothing to do with money, I fly heli and giant scale 3D.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:40 AM
joeyM

Default helis!

helicopters can knife edge--I fly helis and airplanes and helis are alot more aerobatic than planes!!....joe
Old 07-27-2003, 12:08 PM
SDR-Hammer

Default 3d?

Swager, this debate has been brought up several times on this and other R/C sites. Not sure if your post falls in the category of flaming those that do 3-D/hovering or if your just trying to get another perspective? If your intent is to flame… All I can say is, to each his own. Keep in mind you will never hear guys that fly 3-D criticize those that just like to fly figure eights around the patch.

If your intent is to get input from another perspective that’s great, from time to time we all need to know what the attraction is of something we’ve never experienced. The only way I can describe is, it is another challenge. Many pilots are constantly seeking to add a new skills in their repertoire of aerobatic maneuvers. Once one has been through all the basic loops, rolls, snaps so on a so forth many try 3-D. Also it’s all part of the natural high phenomenon. Once flying becomes commonplace some of us need something to get that adrenaline rush when flying. Push the envelope so to speak. So some pilots move into helicopters, some branch off into jets, some of us fly 3-D and a few try it all. That’s the great thing about this sport, it’s only limits are ones desires and imagination.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:18 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3d?

actually ....if you go to an air show and watch the aerobatic pilots do their maneuvers....you will notice that they are doing a lot of stunts with the wings stalled and flying on the prop not the wings ....so you could say we are just flying scale
Old 07-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Swager
My Feedback: (1)

Default 3d?

I am new to the hobby. I would flame noone for the way they choose to fly.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. I will ask no more on this subject. Thank You for your input.

Clear Skies!