Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

battery cycling

Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
madmike10
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default battery cycling

ok i have a question about batter cycling do i need to let the battery go all the way dead or down to a certen volt on a rx battery? seems that the charge is not lasting like it was when i first got my futaba 6ex 5 months ago im a noob when it come to this type of things
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: battery cycling

i bought a sirius charger a couple of years ago and never looked back. you can leave a sirius charger on your batteries indefinitely if you choose. let me see if i can find a link.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think i bought this one. http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...roducts_id=346
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: madmike10

ok i have a question about batter cycling do i need to let the battery go all the way dead or down to a certen volt on a rx battery? seems that the charge is not lasting like it was when i first got my futaba 6ex 5 months ago im a noob when it come to this type of things

Don't ever let any battery "go all the way dead" and taking them down to a certain voltage isn't necessary and a waste of time.

If you're still using the wall wart charger that came with your radio set, chances are good you're not getting a full charge into those batteries. Make room in your budget for an intelligent charger that reports what it does.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dhal22

i think i bought this one. http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...roducts_id=346

One hundred and eighty bucks??????? and no readout? and no info screen? only works off 12V DC? That's actually not a very good deal.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM
madmike10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what would be a good one that wont kill me in price?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look around Tower for just one good retailer who stocks a big range of chargers.

For example: This one for about $110 and works off AC and DC and does LiPos and NiCds and NiMHs and PB. and cycles NiCds and balances LiPos and reports every task it does etc etc etc

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVRS6&P=ML

Look at the Venoms there too. There are a number of good brands that do magic stuff.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
madmike10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cool i have one that dont have a read out ATM i use in the field its a dynamite prophet sport charger charges from 1 amp to 4 amps not sure if it will work like it did for my nitro truck batteries
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: dhal22

One hundred and eighty bucks??????? and no readout? and no info screen? only works off 12V DC? That's actually not a very good deal.
you don't need a read out or info screen. just plug in your batteries and forget it. the charging lights are solid great while charging and flashing green when complete. and will stay flashing as long as you wish to leave them connected. it will cycle your batteries during the flashing status. i actually don't know much about them except that mine has provide flawless charging for my .60 pattern planes to my 100cc sized plane for 2 years or so. i do a load test before every flight and use the sirius charger when needed. no battery issues at all.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have four good chargers and none of them were over about $100.00. My favorite is from Horizon, the old digipulse Digipace?? Anyway it charges 6 batteries at one time. Problem is it only goes to 1500mah. I have one from tower I don't care for but still use, two tritons I like and another from Horizon that is a cycling type. Guess I have 5?? I also have the field charger. In todays market you really want one that will cycle plus charge all the different types. There are gangs of them on the market so it's buyers choice. I do like the new Tritons, what I don't like is the one at a time charging. Back in my wall wart days to cycle I would watch TV and turn on my plane and radio and just move the controls until the battery pooped out then charge for 24 hours to get a full charge. It worked OK back then. Just hit me, I also have a field charger by triton so I guess I have 7. People keep giving me chargers.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
dhal22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my Sirius charges up to 4000 mah for nicads and 2 at a time which works great for my two 3500 mah batteries in my 100cc size plane. of course there's not a 3 plug for the ignition battery but i'm not in that big of a hurry.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I paid $60 for a "scratch & dent" DuraTrax IntelliPeak ICE that is just the berries for NiCads and the NiMH Rx packs I use. Very versitile and flexible. I cycle down to .9v per cell, but with NiMH just generally recharge from where they end up after a dfay of flying.

My Hobbico Accu-Cycle is easy to use but much less capable. My Triton Jr. is pretty good but not as good, informative or user friendly as the IntelliPeak ICE.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Madmike10,

One of our club members is a technician for the local Batteries Plus store and he insists that both Nicad and Nimh batteries used in RC applications get cycled every 4 to 6 weeks especially if they are used frequently. Most RC batteries do not get discharged enough to prevent the memory effect which will reduce the amount of charge a battery will take, He suggests discharging at 500 MAH down to 1 volt per cell and then recharging at 500 MAH.

If you are using the new Nimh hybrids, they cannot be fast charged, we never go over 500MAH on charge. I have one in a plane and plan to replace all my Nicads when it's time. These new Nimh hold a charge when not in use like nothig I have ever seen, I have a new one that is not yet in a plane that is about 6 weeks old and it is still almost fully charged, could fly it without charging. They are also lighter than Nicads and cost much less; a 2100 MAH cost me about $15.00 [this includes our club discount].

As far as chargers/cyclers go, they are all over the board cost wise, I just bought a Turnigy Accucel 6 from Hobby King [Hong Kong] for about $24.00 plus about $12 shipping [took about 10 days to arrive] and it works like a charm, much better than my old Hobbico Accucel that would never get to a full charge.

Gary
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
drube

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Look around Tower for just one good retailer who stocks a big range of chargers.

For example: This one for about $110 and works off AC and DC and does LiPos and NiCds and NiMHs and PB. and cycles NiCds and balances LiPos and reports every task it does etc etc etc

Look at the Venoms there too. There are a number of good brands that do magic stuff.
Looking to get one of these also, could you tell me how many batteries it can charge at one time plus are there any adapters needed?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drube

Looking to get one of these also, could you tell me how many batteries it can charge at one time plus are there any adapters needed?

Thanks
One at a time but it's also AC/DC. I was borrowing that one then I was just given the older model that is DC only. Very good charger and after you have read the instructions a few times very easy to operate. I was borrowing it to charge my first LIPOs so I was a mite confused. Taking it over to nim was easy for me. Just click and push.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
drube

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks GB, Can you recomend a charger thatcharges 3 to 4 at a time? Can I charge a 700,1500 and 2200 together?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Roo Man, If I were you I would get a better source for my information on batteries as the comments you relate to him are quite a bit in error. The below references are all quite good and will give you a much better bit of facts to contemplate on.
http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
http://www.camlight.com/techinfo/techtips.html
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?t=2153
http://www.srbatteries.com/nimh.htm
http://dansdata.com/gz011.htm
http://users.frii.com/dlc/battery.htm

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

Madmike10,

One of our club members is a technician for the local Batteries Plus store and he insists that both Nicad and Nimh batteries used in RC applications get cycled every 4 to 6 weeks especially if they are used frequently. Most RC batteries do not get discharged enough to prevent the memory effect which will reduce the amount of charge a battery will take, He suggests discharging at 500 MAH down to 1 volt per cell and then recharging at 500 MAH.

If you are using the new Nimh hybrids, they cannot be fast charged, we never go over 500MAH on charge. I have one in a plane and plan to replace all my Nicads when it's time. These new Nimh hold a charge when not in use like nothig I have ever seen, I have a new one that is not yet in a plane that is about 6 weeks old and it is still almost fully charged, could fly it without charging. They are also lighter than Nicads and cost much less; a 2100 MAH cost me about $15.00 [this includes our club discount].

As far as chargers/cyclers go, they are all over the board cost wise, I just bought a Turnigy Accucel 6 from Hobby King [Hong Kong] for about $24.00 plus about $12 shipping [took about 10 days to arrive] and it works like a charm, much better than my old Hobbico Accucel that would never get to a full charge.

Gary
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drube

Thanks GB, Can you recomend a charger that charges 3 to 4 at a time? Can I charge a 700,1500 and 2200 together?

Thanks
I really can't say. I pretty much have everything I need and don't look at magazines or go on line looking to see what is out there these days. If I see something I may read the add then forget it. I think the old ACE charger like mine is still sold?? 6 at a time, all different but it only goes to 1500 mah and it doesn't cycle. That's why I bought my other charger from Tower, the Hobbico, total crap!! The cycle part never worked right, I sent it back and they said it was fine. Years later, it still doesn't work. That's why I bought charger number three but I got it from Horizon, Much happier with there products. I use it to cycle and charge then hook up the battery to my old ACE and leave it on trickle. The ACE will charge at different settings but like I said, max is 1500. It still gets a lot of use. Go to Horizons web page and see what they have these days. If you haven't got a good voltmeter then I would tell you to look at there combo volt meter tach. You don't need a tach all that often but over time it will get used and that is one very good combo meter. I have sold a lot of them for H-9, you would think they would give me a free one after all these years or stock in there company??[8D] Just too many good chargers out there these days.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM
drube

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again GB, Can the "combo volt meter tach" be used to tune an engine using it for maxrpm's? Just curious.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought the Triton eq2, it's ac/dc till charge ni-cd,ni-mh,li-po's, lion's. and sealed batteries, will also cycle up to 5 times, ni-cd and ni-mh, when discharging it will only go as far as it should, not draining them to far.I think it's a great charger for $119.00
Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Roo Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Roo Man, If I were you I would get a better source for my information on batteries as the comments you relate to him are quite a bit in error. The below references are all quite good and will give you a much better bit of facts to contemplate on.
http://www.hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html
http://www.camlight.com/techinfo/techtips.html
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?t=2153
http://www.srbatteries.com/nimh.htm
http://dansdata.com/gz011.htm
http://users.frii.com/dlc/battery.htm

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

Madmike10,

Gary
Rodney,

I was referring to the "NEW" Nimh, I call it a Hybrid, it is also known by several oyher names. I reviewed most of the info you provided and all I saw was referring to the older Nimh. The new style does hold a charge for extended periods and is in fact lighter and smaller than a comparable Nicad. And like suggested in most of the info you provided, slow charging is the preferred method. Several of the articles were several years old and were published before the Nimh upgraded batteries were developed.

GHry
Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
matadco

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not sure I am in the right place or even if there is a forum for my question but here goes anyway and maybe someone out there can give me the correct answer. (Knowing how RCers are, everyone has an answer) I am currently using 4.8 volt, 600mh nicades for servo power. Rather then discarding several packages of them I am thinking about buying several 1.2 volt nicades and adding one to each of the 4 cells making them 6volt sets rather then the 4.8 volt. In other words, instead of packs of 4 I will have packs of 5 nicades. Seems like I need to recharge to many times while flying and using 6 volts instead of the 4.8 would extent the need to recharge. Comments please.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
fhm101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's amperage that determines time between charge cycles, not voltage.

Also, adding a new cell to a used pack will only serve to ruin a perfectly good new cell in short order.

Don't try to save a dime on battery packs and wind up spending a ton on replacing a crashed airplane.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
jrcarson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

since my old Ace Digipace II died I have tried a couple of cyclers but am not happy with the results. what is the best cycler to use with ni-cads? Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
drube

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After reading a ton of info and gettinglots of adviceon here I picked up one of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEYD4&P=ML. I really like it and it's easy to use. I'm now cycling some of my friends batteries as well...lol