Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What size spinner to use

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size spinner to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Kenbob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size spinner to use

Hi,
I am building a Skyline Breitling 540 1880mm. With a 110 eflite motor, 5 hitac servos, castle 100 w/bec ESC and AR6600T RX.
I currently have 2 - 3" spinners, but I don't think they will work with my 18 x 10 APC prop. Other than me having to drill out the mounting plate to 12 mm, It really doesn't give me enough room to cutout a space for the prop to fit without taking out one or two of the mounting holes of the cone. Should I go up to a 3.5 size spinner or larger? Or am I missing something here? I am new to building and the building instructions are vague at best and I had to get them off the internet as the plane did not come with build instructions.
I am almost done with the build, other than figuring out the tx mixing, spinner issue and ironing out some wrinkles in the skin.

Your help will be appreciated on my issue.

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-18-2018, 09:07 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I think what you will find on most spinners is the openings will be to small for that big APC. I like to find the size that looks best on the plane and cut if need be. The exception would be a Tru - Turn spinner. They will cut the opening to fit your prop. I have good luck with the Dave Brown spinners from Tower. If I have to open them up I use a marker to mark both sides and carefully sand the opening bigger with a Dremel drum sander. Since this is an ALUM spinner you can use a prop balancer to re balance it when you finish.

David
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
daveopam

What mixing are you doing in the TX?

David
Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Kenbob101

I have yet to figure the mix out. I have asked that question on another post..lol
Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Kenbob101

The online instructions state a 3 inch spinner, but I do not think it is going to fit over my 18 x 10 prop. I hate to go through all the work of cutting a spinner up to find it does fit anyway. I have measured it out and it is damn close. I was hoping someone on here had put a spinner on a prop size like mine and could say what size of spinner to use.

Last edited by Kenbob101; 01-18-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I run a 20-10 on my 71" slick with a 3" spinner,, plenty of meat left
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180118_140049.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	928.1 KB
ID:	2251506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180118_140054.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	999.8 KB
ID:	2251507  

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM
daveopam

I saw your mix post. Looks like you got help there.

I forgot you were talking electric APC. They are easier to fit. If you get a CF spinner like above they are super easy to make clearance in.

David
Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM
scale only 4 me

Now that I read his post again, I think he has a spinner that bolts to the back plate, that might be a tighter fit than a single bolt like mine,, single bolt is the way to go for sure
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Kenbob101

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Now that I read his post again, I think he has a spinner that bolts to the back plate, that might be a tighter fit than a single bolt like mine,, single bolt is the way to go for sure
Single bolt? Do you have a part number? Brand? and how does a single bolt work?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 AM
scale only 4 me

example,,

http://www.sdshobby.com/rc-airplane-...rocessing.html

You'll also need an adapter bolt for what ever threads your prop bolt has

example,, make sure you get the right threads

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXHMF3

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 01-19-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:36 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I do believe on a plane like this the spinner size is directly related to the cowling. Notice Scale-only in post #6, and how his spinner mates to the cowling. If you get a larger spinner, that would alter the spinner/cowling relationship. Of course it would probably work, but I'm not sure how good it might look (actually I have an idea .. and it's not good)..

Also.. I'm wondering if you actually have an APC electric prop, or by chance you have a glow prop. I do know an APC glow prop in that size range has a huge hub and center section.. I mean it's big... It's so big I shy away from APC glow props in that size... but I'm seeing in Scale-only's post that 20x10 APC- E prop looks very different, and I'm not seeing why your spinner wouldn't fit on that... even with careful cutting/sanding with a Dremel for the prop notches... I'm just double checking your prop selection is all.

So yeah... spinner size is determined by cowl/crankshaft opening/diameter, then the prop notches are cut and fine tuned to the prop... which is actually quite common if you want a custom nice fit. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Kenbob101

Originally Posted by DGrant
I do believe on a plane like this the spinner size is directly related to the cowling. Notice Scale-only in post #6, and how his spinner mates to the cowling. If you get a larger spinner, that would alter the spinner/cowling relationship. Of course it would probably work, but I'm not sure how good it might look (actually I have an idea .. and it's not good)..

Also.. I'm wondering if you actually have an APC electric prop, or by chance you have a glow prop. I do know an APC glow prop in that size range has a huge hub and center section.. I mean it's big... It's so big I shy away from APC glow props in that size... but I'm seeing in Scale-only's post that 20x10 APC- E prop looks very different, and I'm not seeing why your spinner wouldn't fit on that... even with careful cutting/sanding with a Dremel for the prop notches... I'm just double checking your prop selection is all.

So yeah... spinner size is determined by cowl/crankshaft opening/diameter, then the prop notches are cut and fine tuned to the prop... which is actually quite common if you want a custom nice fit. Good luck.
I had bought 2 spinners. one yellow and one black. Because of the size of the prop, 4 bolt hole mounted spinners will not work. I will need to go to the single bolt spinner. I took the black one and tried to modify it to fit and no it does not fit. Had to remove two of the mounting holes to make it fit. Yes, I have an electric prop, I had to drill out the prop center to 12mm to make it fit the 110 eflite motor. I agree that a larger spinner, such as a 3.5 would be to big for the nose of the plane. I will try Scale-only's suggestion and see if I can get something that will work with my setup.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:23 AM
DGrant

Take note here... https://www.horizonhobby.com/prop-adapters:-power-110-160-eflm41103

If this is in fact the motor and adapter you now have, it's already drilled/tapped to 10/32 threads(internally) specifically for spinners with center-bolts.

After I thought about this thread for a minute, I started thinking about 12mm is big.. and I also didn't find anything in a spinner-nut that big either.. so I investigated further... and now it makes sense.. that 12mm shaft is large enough to easily be drilled/threaded for a spinner screw.

So now that leaves you to choose a spinner, and make sure it's drilled/reamed straight/center for that 12mm shaft. So a spinner with a center bolt will just bolt up... then you have the clearance to hone the prop notches if you need too.

I can see where a 4-bolt-hole mount spinner wouldn't work, as by the time you get your clearance, there probably isn't anything left to actually secure the cone. Does that make sense..? I think I'm getting it.. anyway.. check the above out and check the prop-adapter you have and see if you've got threads in there. If you do, they'll be 10/32.. from there just fabricate/cut a screw(preferably a hardened allen-head machine screw) to the correct length and go fly.

Last edited by DGrant; 01-20-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:39 AM
DGrant

Here's another thought as well. Tru-Turn Spinners will drill and/or cut, or have the exact size spinner you want to fit your motor/plane. You can just tell them the prop you're using, and they'll cut/notch it for the prop. Nice thing is, if the notch is large, you can use many types of props. You can even get an anodized color as well. Just tell them what your application is, and what you're looking for. These aren't cheap, and there are of course alternatives... but these are good spinners. Good luck with it.

https://www.truturn.com/
Old 01-20-2018, 11:18 AM
scale only 4 me

Fixed the link
https://www.horizonhobby.com/prop-ad...-160-eflm41103

Yeap,, looks like the shaft is threaded, so if that is what you have you just need the right length bolt
Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM
DGrant

Fixed the link
https://www.horizonhobby.com/prop-ad...-160-eflm41103

Yeap,, looks like the shaft is threaded, so if that is what you have you just need the right length bolt
Yes... ha. Sorry about that. That's it. Thank you very much.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Kenbob101

I run a 20-10 on my 71" slick with a 3" spinner,, plenty of meat left
So this spinner does NOT have a backing plate correct? It bolts through to the input shaft and has a nut and washer on the inside of the spinner to hold it in place?
Also, would really like to thank everyone for the info you have shared with me. It is very helpful and I appreciate everything.

Last edited by Kenbob101; 01-21-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-21-2018, 11:01 AM
DGrant

These spinners have backing plates. That's the seat the cone sits on. The center-bolt goes through the cone and screws into the prop-nut. Did you look at the website I linked? You might get a visual there. It's really very common to have spinners like this. I can't think of one spinner in this size range that doesn't have some kind of backing plate. Good luck with it. Look at the site... or just Google "aluminum RC spinners" or something like that, then look at "images" in Google. It's all there.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Kenbob101

Found one on ebay that I don't need a bolt, just need to enlarge the base plate hole 2mm. What do you think?
It is held on to the base with 4 screws around the outside of the spinner.
Just not sure it will fit my prop. Still looking at center bolt spinners.
My output shaft on my 110 eflite motor is threaded, so thinking that if I find a 3" spinner with center hole all I will need to know if it fits my prop. And get a 10/32 3 inch bolt on a 4.5 length spinner.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kenbob101; 01-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:10 PM
DGrant

If it's held to the base with 4-screws... yeah...you don't need a center bolt. I'm thinking it would work ... probably work fine depending on your fabrication skills if the prop-notches need shaving.

Honestly though, that's a different cone shape then what I would use, but it's hard to tell, as the pic is small, and it won't enlarge for me for some reason. It was the 4.5" length that I question.. and as I'm looking at it... it might seem odd on your aerobat... but I'm sure it could be fit to it all just fine.... with no center bolt. Only center-bolt spinners need a center-bolt. At 4.5" that spinner will be very long and extend quite a bit. but I'm thinking to be aesthetically pleasing... it would be in the 3.5" range(from base to tip)... maybe a tad more... but 4.5" will protrude quite a bit on that nose.

I'm thinking the spinner in your pic is carbon-fiber... of which c/f spinners are held on with 4 screws through the spinner, into the base-plate. Carbon fiber spinners usually don't have center-bolts..as they easily bolt to the base-plate... just an FYI. Also c/f spinners are easily refabricated with a Dremel or other rotary tool to hone the prop-notches out.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Kenbob101

Originally Posted by DGrant
If it's held to the base with 4-screws... yeah...you don't need a center bolt. I'm thinking it would work ... probably work fine depending on your fabrication skills if the prop-notches need shaving.

Honestly though, that's a different cone shape then what I would use, but it's hard to tell, as the pic is small, and it won't enlarge for me for some reason. It was the 4.5" length that I question.. and as I'm looking at it... it might seem odd on your aerobat... but I'm sure it could be fit to it all just fine.... with no center bolt. Only center-bolt spinners need a center-bolt. At 4.5" that spinner will be very long and extend quite a bit. but I'm thinking to be aesthetically pleasing... it would be in the 3.5" range(from base to tip)... maybe a tad more... but 4.5" will protrude quite a bit on that nose.

I'm thinking the spinner in your pic is carbon-fiber... of which c/f spinners are held on with 4 screws through the spinner, into the base-plate. Carbon fiber spinners usually don't have center-bolts..as they easily bolt to the base-plate... just an FYI. Also c/f spinners are easily refabricated with a Dremel or other rotary tool to hone the prop-notches out.
Yes it is longer, The Jimmy Durante of nose cones..lol I have emails out to a few sellers on the internet. SDSHobby is hard to work with because I don't think they understand what I am asking them. I have an email out to Tru Turn as well as Aerobees. So, hopefully I will get the product I need from one of them.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM
DGrant

Originally Posted by Kenbob101
Yes it is longer, The Jimmy Durante of nose cones..lol I have emails out to a few sellers on the internet. SDSHobby is hard to work with because I don't think they understand what I am asking them. I have an email out to Tru Turn as well as Aerobees. So, hopefully I will get the product I need from one of them.
That's funny!! Either Jimmy Durante or Pinnochio... haha... but it's totally up to you.. I'm thinking Pinnochio.. It's a good name for a plane as well.. ha. Just kidding.. You're on the right track for the correct size I'm sure... all in fun man! Have a great day!

Last edited by DGrant; 01-22-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
scale only 4 me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1piece-3-76...MAAOSw1vlUr4kB

good luck
Old 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM
DGrant

Thanks.. I've not seen any c/f spinners with center-bolts.. those are a very decent deal too it seems. Learn something new every day right.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM
Kenbob101

Question

That spinner is for a gas engine, mine is a 110 eflite electric. I personally don't see what the difference would be, but I guess there is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.