Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Customized Components

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM
rcstudent

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Customized Components

Hello,
I'm a student currently working on a project related to RC.It deals with providing customized composite components and/or molds for individuals interested in non-off-the-shelf components.I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to quickly answer a few questions that would be of huge value to my project. Even if you just answered a few it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
1)If given the opportunity to easily create custom components, at a reasonable price, would you be interested?
2)If so what components would most interest you?
3)If interested, would you be more likely to have your custom designed components made for you or simply have a mold made and kit given to yourself for you to make it?
4)Do you have CAD or drafting experience?
5)What kind of extra-ordinary or really interesting customizations have you previously seen?
6)For your own customized component, would you be willing to spend twice the cost of the same off the shelf component? What would you consider a reasonable price for having a custom component/mold made for you?
7) Any other comments on customizing or helpful resources?
Last question: Has anyone seen any market data on the RC/model market? I have searched for hours on some of the biggest marketing data sites and have come up empty handed. Odd :/
That's it, tried to keep it short, so I wouldn't take too much time.
Thank you for your time!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Customized Components

ORIGINAL: rcstudent

Hello,
I'm a student currently working on a project related to RC. It deals with providing customized composite components and/or molds for individuals interested in non-off-the-shelf components. I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough to quickly answer a few questions that would be of huge value to my project. Even if you just answered a few it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
1) If given the opportunity to easily create custom components, at a reasonable price, would you be interested?
2) If so what components would most interest you?
3) If interested, would you be more likely to have your custom designed components made for you or simply have a mold made and kit given to yourself for you to make it?
4) Do you have CAD or drafting experience?
5) What kind of extra-ordinary or really interesting customizations have you previously seen?
6) For your own customized component, would you be willing to spend twice the cost of the same off the shelf component? What would you consider a reasonable price for having a custom component/mold made for you?
Last question: Has anyone seen any market data on the RC/model market? I have searched for hours on some of the biggest marketing data sites and have come up empty handed. Odd :/
That's it, tried to keep it short, so I wouldn't take too much time.
Thank you for your time!
1. Yes
2. Canopies, cowls, dummy engines, cockpit items.
3. I thought we were talking about me, easily creating custom components, rather than having someone make them for me.
4. Yes.
5. Planes, cockpits, trim design.
6. Not applicable, I thought we were talking about me easily creating custom components.
7. -

Market data has been requested many times, the people who have it are keeping it close to their chests.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1) If given the opportunity to easily create custom components, at a reasonable price, would you be interested?
Yes
2) If so what components would most interest you?
Canopies, cowls, ??
3) If interested, would you be more likely to have your custom designed components made for you or simply have a mold made and kit given to yourself for you to make it?
Made for me. I can make the mold myself if I want to. I'm only going to buy if I dont have time.
4) Do you have CAD or drafting experience?
Yes
5) What kind of extra-ordinary or really interesting customizations have you previously seen?
List is too long. Mind just went blank.
6) For your own customized component, would you be willing to spend twice the cost of the same off the shelf component? What would you consider a reasonable price for having a custom component/mold made for you?
No, why spend twice the cost for something off the self.
Metal work. But I do that myself too. Just speaking for others that might want it.
Same comment as above.

RCers in general are a cheap lot of people. Thats the fun in building, taking something unrelated and making use of it on your plane. I would love to run across a mattel vacume former for little parts, and make a bigger one for canopies. I would be self sufficient then. Custom cowls are no problem.
Edwin
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Johnkpap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Answers

1.Yes

2. Custom Retracts (replacement for Proline), Custom Engine components, Re-production Kraft Wheels, pylon racing wheels

3. Just made

4. Some but limited

5. Buggy Engines converted to Pylon engines, Spun metal cowling for WW1 planes.

6. A resonable price would be upto twice the price of a off the shelf item

7. Go to the classic pattern Forum and the pylon Fourm and look around

Hope this helps

Johnkpap